Jesus Bug #1 + Repost

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any Welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any Welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Olympus E-1 200mm 1/200s f/9 ISO 200

A Water Strider literally walks on water. Their legs are covered with thousands of microscopic hairs scored with tiny groves. These groves trap air, increasing water resistance of the their legs and overall buoyancy. The Water Strider’s legs are so buoyant that they can support fifteen times the insect’s weight without sinking. Even in a rainstorm, or in waves, the Strider stays afloat. Their legs are more buoyant than even ducks’ feathers. If a Water Strider’s legs go underwater, it’s very difficult for them to push to the surface and they will likely drown.

The buoyancy and paddling legs allow Striders to be very fast. A National Geographic article reports Striders are capable of “speeds of a hundred body lengths per second. To match them, a 6-foot-tall person would have to swim at over 400 miles an hour.”

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@johntetisr

John: Welcome to NPN and thanks for an intriguing post. I had to look a little for the water bug but I like how you positioned it in the frame and I really like the water action. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more. >=))>

Thanks Bill. I’m a patron of Guy Tal and found your site via the link for his AMA post. I think I’m going to enjoy NPN. I especially like the critique sections and the ability to process the images to illustrate suggestions for improvement.

Best,

John

John, Welcome to NPN. I am so glad that you found the site. It is, in my opinion, a wonderful community of photographers, of all calibers, so no matter what stage in our journey, one can probably learn as well as contribute.

I have seen these before, but didn’t know the proper name, but also like the name you gave it in the title. I stand amazed at these tiny insects all around us, with such details in their bodies that enable them to carry out their function in the universe. That is one of the attractions to macro photography for me, because I am able to see some of the details up close on my computer screen that I could not see just looking at the insect.

I too love the way the water movement was captured. I can see where his feet are planted on the water, and even his shadow it looks like as well.

I appreciate you sharing the info about their speed. That is amazing.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your images. Again, welcome to NPN.

1 Like

Thanks Shirley for the kind words. I too am glad that I found this site. The approach is unique among photography forums. A special place indeed!

2 Likes

Jon, I’m thoroughly enjoying the “reflection abstract”. Finding the water strider “lurking” in it’s midst is a fine bonus. These insects are a ton of fun to watch and a challenge to photograph as the move so fast. A fine job with this capture.

Thanks Mark. These critters hang out in the stream next to my house. I am hoping to revisit them again this summer.I’ll be posting more from thIs series for critique. JT