Riding the Blue

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On a quiet, somewhat cool morning the water striders were not especially active. That let me take this 10 shot stack of this individual on my pond. Since this was approaching 1:1, even 10 shots didn’t get the far leg in focus, but there was enough drifting to prevent more shots at this slow shutter speed from being useful…maybe as the weather cools…

Technical Details

R5, 180 mm macro, 1/25 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod

1 Like

Hi Mark, really nice image. Love the black and blue negative space giving context for the bug. I also like the surface tension as the legs rest on the water. The focus stack worked well. I don’t mind the slightly blur on the far leg at all. Nice frame.

This is very cool & unique too, Mark. Not sure I’ve ever seen an image like it before. No thoughts for change at all from my POV… :sunglasses:

Completely cool!! Wonderful detail on the bug and the surface tension, and interesting shading on the open water.

Oh wow, this is very nice! I love the almost metallic blue tones and I don’t think I need to say that the blue works really nicely with the warm oranges of the water strider. Great job on this!

Mark, this is a superb capture. How lucky you were to have been able to get 10 shots for your stack! It paid off big time. I truly don’t mind something being out of focus in macros. I think it enhances a macro shot. In your photo, besides the obvious sharpness we get, I must say that the silky texture of the water is mind-blowing to my eyes.

Still long enough for a stack! Wow. That almost never happens. Super detail and color shading through the water. Just look at that surface tension!

Mark, this is such a neat shot. The tension of his feet on the water just is way too cool. The colors and composition works nicely. I sure can’t think of anything that would improve this shot.