Jigsaw puzzle from on high

Description: Flying over Lake Erie the ice can be amazing as it was on this flight

Specific Feedback Requested: What do you enjoy about this image?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Single image, from a commercial flight, through an airplane window

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

4 Likes

This is amazing. I never would have guessed what it is. Very interesting patterns and textures. Truly fascinating.

Thank you Chris! I used to fly lots, enough so I could always get the seat I wanted, typically in front of the wing on the non-sunny side. The window was always a crapshoot but I just took what I got, fuzzy or not. No view out an airplane window was ever as bad as most airplane movies! I remember watching another guy with a big contraption he’d put together to stabilize his camera and reduce reflections from the window—it was so big it nearly required it’s own carryon! I’d just do the best I could, using with a zoom at 300, and then do some simple post-processing. Now, of course, LR practically begs to work on aerial images! I never tired of looking out those windows and was often just blown away by what I saw.

What I like most John, other than the great abstractnees, is that it isn’t a puzzle I trying to put together :rofl:

Outstanding abstract with terrific texture and lines.

Wow, that is very cool. The squiggly crack is fascinating. The big flat pieces just drift and break up and come back together it seems. Well seen and photographed.

Oh, you tempt me Linda and the first copy would be in your mailbox! Thank you.

Thanks, David. It was one of many that day, and more on another flight.

Thank you, Kristen, and then add in the windswept snow on the diagonal, it was a joy to see.

Fascinating ! I have never seen such “squiggly” interfingering along fractures. I assume it must be a response to pressure along that interface?

All that can possibly be known, Bill, is that the rupture was a noisy one! Beautiful too.

Lovely, John. That windswept snow actually added a lot to the photo for me.

Thanks, Mike, and yes, the patterns were a nearly endless delight. Would that we could have just flown in circles!

John, that zig-zag crack that runs the full length of the frame is amazing. It’s nicely balanced by the horizontal cracks and the diagonal bits where it looks like the snow has blown off the ice.

Thanks, Mark. I’m glad you enjoyed it and appreciate your thoughts.

Wonderful!! The view from a plane can be so fascinating, and the optical quality of the windows so frustrating. You overcame the obstacles here – I’d love to see more!

Thanks, Diane. A few more from this same Lake Erie flight can be found here https://www.johnsnell.photography/#/newimages/

Lots more on this page too:

The dehaze feature now in LR certainly makes many of those hazy windows a think of the past.