Joshua Down

I was out in Joshua Tree National Park a few days ago, for some night photography. I remembered the Weekly Challenge, so kept an eye out for fallen Joshua Trees. There were quite a few, many with arcs as the long trunk fell over into a curve. In the late afternoon the light was harsh, so for that reason, but also to accentuate their shapes and lines, I converted this to B&W.

Specific Feedback Requested

any feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

D750 with 20mm f/1.8 lens.
f/7.1, 1/500 second, ISO 100. Handheld.

B&W conversion in Lightroom.

2 Likes

Really great composition, Mark! And I think it definitely was a good choice for black and white. I hope to see some more from your Joshua Tree trip!

Wow, this is really cool, Mark. As @Vanessa_Hill said, this is an excellent comp. And the B&W treatment is the cherry on top. Wonderful.

1 Like

Thank you @Vanessa_Hill and @David_Bostock for sharing your thoughts! Maybe the composition salvaged what might otherwise be an image of an ugly dead tree!

1 Like

Good photograph, Mark! I think your sky helped make this image.

1 Like

Dal, Yes. I really darkened it for contrast with the tree.
Thanks!!!

Mark, this looks great. I like how you’ve emphasized the fallen tree (looks like part of it is about to launch…) and the way it points to the rocks and standing J-trees in the distance. You’re b&w treatement fits the scene very well.

1 Like