Juniper

It’s been a while since I took a photograph and last post in NPN, due to the exams on my University, so it was a really pleasure to get this photo on a recent walk.

just a study of lines, form and color.

Specific Feedback Requested

C/C welcome

Technical Details

Nikon D810
Tamron 24-70

2 Likes

What a great little scene, Joao! As you said a study of lines, form and color. IMO it is perfect, nothing to improve. It is just such a pleasure sittning and looking at this image.

Lovely image Joao with some wonderful structure, color, and texture. I see repeating arch patterns in the shrubs which is quite nice. The overall framing works nicely. Only minor area that catches my eye is the upper right corner with the dirt showing. Perhaps a slight crop would help.

1 Like

I agree with what @Alfredo_Mora mentioned, although it is very minor. I also think the yellow is a bit much for my tastes in a scene like this - might try dialing the colors back a lot to see if a more subtle color palette works. Glad you are back shooting!

Hi Joao! This is a beautiful small scene. You captured very pleasing lines and colors. It is well balanced with good contrast. To me, cropping off the top or side to eliminate the small dirt patches would negatively impact the comp. I would leave it as is or maybe clone in some of the green vegetation.

Well done!

This looks so much like an Eliot Porter image. It even resembles the appearance of a dye transfer print. His colors always had that muted organic look to them.

The image looks a bit soft to me. I had the same equipment as you are using. I didn’t particularly like the 24-70 Tamron for the D810. I also found that the D810 required 2 sharpening passes, one on the original file prior to downsizing for the web and the second after the downsize. These may be the reasons for the softness. Or you might like that look.

1 Like

A wonderful, intimate scene, João. It is especially inviting in the larger scene. Awesome work and it’s great to see you posting. I hope your exams have all gone well.

1 Like

This is a terrifically inviting scene and you nailed it Joao. It is a just a nice study on lines, forms and color and how harmoniously they all work together. This is framed perfectly. I agree about the very small patch of dirt in the URC. Easy to fix. Great to see you posting again.

Impressive that you were able to capture a scene with so many elements yet there is nice separation.

Absolutely gorgeous! I just love images like these and I really like yours with all of that texture and the warm colours.

João,

Oh my, this is gorgeous - and sorry, I just copied Tom’s description, but if it fits, then repeat!

There is so much to love about this image. Most of all I just love how the different elements, plants all seem to fit together so perfectly. The colors and luminosity are just wonderful too. Love this!

I would agree with the softness - mostly in the primary yellow/green bush; weird too because the stalks of grass all seem pretty sharp. But given the type of scene, colors, and all - this is not an image about fine detail - it should be enjoyed as a fine art print, large, on a wall…

Great to see you post an image and hope you’re able to get more time behind the viewfinder.

Lon

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions;

@Alfredo_Mora , @Matt_Payne, and @David_Haynes all mention the URC “question” but I agree with @Steve_Kennedy view. I will try some cloning.

@Igor_Doncov, second by @Lon_Overacker ;You are right; the image is a little soft, I had a lot of trouble fighting the wind with this one - the grass are somewhat far behind so had a little more protection.

Once again, Thank you all.