Just a brief moment

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The two-hour drive to this spot was a bit nerve-wracking. We started at the hotel under almost clear skies. There were a few clouds on the horizon… we will surely see a beautiful sunset?

The closer we got to our destination, the thicker the clouds became… wow this has the potential for a dramatic sunset.

The sky was completely covered when we left the paved road for the last kilometers of gravel road. The road is bumpy, they said and I was really glad that we had rented a four-wheel drive.

When we got out of our car at our destination, we were enveloped in a thick cloud. Estimated visibility: 5 meters

We couldn’t see the waterfall at first, but were patient and waited for the sunset anyway. It cleared up. And for a short time, even some sunlight came through a gap in the clouds.

Specific Feedback

As always any feedback is very welcome!

Technical Details

The final image consists of six vertical shots. I stitched the Panorama with LR.
Basic adjustments in LR, worked on contrast and mood in PS.

3 Likes

Wow Jens! That is a beautiful shot. It is composed so well. the sun leading into the river and then back up through the waterfall. Glad you waited around. They are rare, but those times when the sky breaks open when you are sure it wouldnt are some of the best.

About all I can say is “Wow”, everything seems to have fallen into place. The lighting, composition, and processing are just great.

@Cameron_Wilcox , @Teep
Thank you very much for your feedback and your kind words. I really appreciate that.

Jens, your patience and persistence paid off with a wonderfully moody view of this falls and gorge.

The drama of the moment really comes through. Nice color contrast between the blues in the sky, greens in the grasses, and yellow in the sun/light.

Hi Jens,

It looks like you’re shooting this from the seat of a Giant Lounge Chair! :slight_smile:

There’s a lot going on in this scene:

The area to the left of the largest waterfall looks like a recess in the shape of a bell.
The clouds on the far left are shaped like a horizontal corkscrew, it could be the beginning of some turbulent convection going on there.
To the left of the corkscrew, it appears to be raining quite hard.
There’s even more rain between the two largest waterfalls.
The sunlight illuminating the valley and the giant lounge chair.
The swirling mist at the base of the largest waterfall.
The river drawing my attention to the turbulent convection in the clouds.
The colors and exposure levels.

All are great elements to studying and enjoy! :slight_smile:

In my view, the timing was just right, otherwise, some of the most interesting elements to me might not have been there.

And, this reminds me of the movie “Vikings” where “Floki the Boat Builder” was exploring Iceland for the first time. :sunglasses:

Well worth the effort, Jens!

Hi @Jens_Ober, your persistence paid off with a really nice pano! I particularly like the sweep of the river towards the falls. Nicely done!