Just a slot canyon

Would you have done anything differently in this slot. I considered doing a pano as you can see in the first image… No river at all but… Not sure what works the best.

This is not a composite… Just a normal shot.

Kanarrahville and Valley of Fire-13

What do you think about cropping the river out?

2 Likes

That’s a hard choice. They’re both really good. The white areas in the river in the vertical are a bit of a negative so I’ll go with the more panoramic aspect.

Drew, I like the un-cropped version. I like the way the water is blurred and flowing directly into the canyon. Really pulls my eyes further in and wondering, what else is back there? Great photo.

Both work for me. The yellow bush is a nice reward for the eye as a viewer flows through the scene.

It probably wasn’t yellow when you went through there. Cold feet was our price to pay. This is the same slot as your main photo here.

Drew, the panorama of the top of the canyon is beautiful. I really like it. There is almost an amphitheater feel to it with lines circling around the golden leaves. Very nicely done. No nits from me.

You’re right! I was there In The last week of November with no hint of fall colour left

Wow, We were there at the very beginning of November I believe. Still cold on the feet.

The first image, sans river, is much more mysterious and less obvious. I like it. The scene with the river isn’t bad but I dont like how close the tree is to the top edge. It makes it harder to enjoy visually. I would recommend on the first image, sans river, cooling down the color of the shaded section of the slot near the edges of the frame so you get more warm/cool contrast to make the tree stand out more.

1 Like

As presented, I prefer the first image over the second. I think the bright tree in the vertical image pulls my eye away from the rest of the image, whereas in the horizontal image the canyon walls funnel your eye to the tree.

I think the second (vertical) image would be stronger if you cropped the tree away completely. I did a rework to illustrate this. In the rework I also burned down the bright area on the left shore, and dodged the highlights in the background parts of the canyon to make them stand out a little more.

1 Like