Just Grass

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A small scene from an evening walk near my home just a couple of days ago. Not much time at hand, I had to work with the ordinary and mundane yet again, so I snapped a picture of these two types of grass, lit nicely by the last light of the day. Really simple composition and subject but still appealing to me.

Technical Details

Shot with Fujifilm X-t4 & Fujinon XF 33mm F1.4 @ ISO 160, F1.8

Nikos, It does look like some nice evening light on these grasses. I am thinking that this might fit better in the Landscape and tagged “small scene” (I think that is what the tag name is). For the Macro category it should be closer in on some of the grass so that it is near real life size (1:1, or a close-up of the subject if it isn’t 1:1). Usually this done with a macro lens, but not always, just one that lets you obtain focus close enough to the subject to have the subject in pretty close. You may have intended to put it in the Landscape category and clicked Macro instead. Not sure. Anyway, I can move it over to Landscape, if you would like.

I really do like the light on this. It makes the grasses stand out from the rest of the scene.

Well @Shirley_Freeman I actually initially tried that but I could not seem to find the small scene tag that I have used in the past. So I used the macro / close up category as this is a close up. Now I tried to edit my post and move it to landscape critiques but I can only put it in the everything else critiques category… I kind of give up :blush:

Oh my. I’m sorry let me see what I can do. I haven’t posted in Landscape in a few years, so I’m not sure if the small scene was removed.

Okay, I moved it over to Landscape and tagged it “small scene”. Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

Ah, thank you @Shirley_Freeman … I was confused by that number prefix in the tag and did not use it… Now I know :slightly_smiling_face:

No problem. I’m not sure what the number is there for. When looking for a tag, I have found the easiest way to find it is after I have clicked on the tag list, to type in what I recall the tag I am looking for to be, and it should give you that tag where you can just click on it. I hope that helps.

Quite lovely!! For me the interest is in the plant on the left and I wonder about a crop to exclude the one on the right, with some cloning needed in the upper right. The light on that plant is just gorgeous and its shape is so interesting! A wonderful find!

1 Like

Nikos,

This is beautifully seen and photographed. I really think the juxtaposition between the winter grass and new growth is what the image is about - of course the light striking the scene as well is quite lovely.

I’m not sure if the opportunity existed to re-position, but the only slight distraction I see is the background object in the UR, behind the green plant. It’s like I’m trying to figure out what it is and it’s pulling me away from enjoying the light and the back and forth between the two lovely little plants. there’s also a bright streak of an out of focus stalk of grass that you might try and clone out.

Great job with the selective focus, which really does helping keeping the eye up front. Perhaps you could selectively further blur that object in the background. If it’s recent and still accessible, maybe you could return?

Great eye to catch this. So many opportunities like this right at our feet and near home. Thanks for sharing.

Lon

1 Like

Nikos I love your photo, the great light, the natural colors, the good amount of saturation and the translucent feeling. For me too the blurry bright straw thread disturbes the shape of the grass.
This lens is excellent. When I used to photograph flowers I used to do it in the opposite way: a macro lens of 200mm, narrow F, often a dark BG but now I see that there are other good way.

1 Like

Here is what sings to me:

1 Like

@Diane_Miller … I can assure you I had taken multiple shots such as the one you shared :smiley: … I eventually found the composition that included the second plant more interesting, as it included this antithesis between the young and coming, and old and departing just as @Lon_Overacker pointed out.

@Lon_Overacker I did not particularly mind the rock on the upper right corner until you pointed it out :slight_smile: … now it kind of bothers me too, and I’ll see if I can take another look on my next walk.

@Giuseppe_Guadagno yeah I’m contemplating a true macro lens for some time now, and never got to splash that money for the Fujinon 80mm F2.8 :smile: … I must say though that this little prime I am using is a diamond of a lens, very sharp wide open at F1.4 which allows me to have really nice bokeh and isolate as in this case, while also retaining some of the surroundings. I’m really glad that this image opened up another the possibility of an alternative approach to you, compared to the classic one with the long focal length and very narrow depth.

Thank you all for the time you spent to provide this really valuable feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a great reminder of how easy it is to miss the small beauty. I just love the light spilling in the way you caught it.

Thank you @John_Williams… yeah these are the scenes that require us to slow down… and look down a bit :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like