Just strutting my stuff!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was going over some of my images from Magee and this one was very interesting to me. This male prothonotary warbler made quite the show and it must have puffed up its feathers when a gust of wind caught the bird creating this unusual portrayal. I left a generous amount of material around the bird which conveys the type of habitat this warbler prefers. Dead limbs and tree holes for nesting with nearby water are all necessary for this species.

Specific Feedback

Do you find this crop OK?

Technical Details

Z9 200-400 f4 at 340mm (1/640sec at f7.1, ISO 1250) Levels, DeNoise, Select sharpoening, crop for comp.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

the pose and the detail looks pretty good. Composition And crop are excellent.I’m guessing this is a pretty rare bird but I could be wrong. I like the color. But there is an awful lot of competition with all the sticks in the image. They tend to pull my I away from bird even as bright as it is. tighter crop would eliminate some of the twigs.

Hi Jim, a beautiful bird we often see in Tennessee also especially in swamplands. Really nice pose you captured and in a typical sticky situation. Agree with David about the bird competing with the sticks. If you don’t object to such things, I’m wondering what the remove tool could do with the stick intersecting the bird on the right side.

I love the pose Jim. Those pantaloons are pretty spectacular. I think a vertical crop would work with this and may reduce some of the competing branches.

Hi Jim
Thank you for the Magee, love the yellow. I like the big stick framing, it bring my eye into the Magee world.
Peter

Thank you @Allen_Sparks , @David_Schoen , @Ed_Williams and @peter for your comments. I will work on this one to remove extraneous sticks in the near future…Jim