Juvenile Bald Eagle Prepping for Takeoff

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At a photo workshop in Grand Teton, we drove past this eagle sitting on the gate at the Jackson Lake Dam. We turned around, parked and walked across the dam. The eagle stayed put for about 5 minutes while our group took lots of images, then took off right after this capture.

Specific Feedback

Not sure how to handle the gate hardware - in this case I don’t mind it because it reminds me of the location and how it felt to be there in the cold and rain that morning. But should I leave it? Crop it more?

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-T3, 1/1000s, f/5.6, ISO 640, 400mm

1 Like

I don’t think the gate is an important issue, though I know a lot of photographers who consider don’t like man-made objects. In my opinion we need to face the fact that we’re living in a largely man-made world. Detail in the Eagle looks really good to me and you did a great job of bringing out the eye which is always a problem for me in juvenile Bald Eagles.

1 Like

The wonderful sharpness and detail here is all you need for a wonderful image. The perch is what it is, and the eagle chose it. Processing looks perfect to me.

1 Like

Nice looking pre-take-off pose you managed here. The man made object is unfortunate, but they perch were they perch and I wouldn’t have passed up the opportunity to take this image either. My only wish was that the beak didn’t intersect with the outer wing. Still nice image!

1 Like

Thank you! We get what we get :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Thanks! The eagle was quite close and we were lucky to have such a relatively long time with him/her.

A nice view of the eagle with excellent detail. I wouldn’t crop it any more, in fact maybe a bit more room behind the tail. As man-made perches go, it’s not too bad and in any event the eye is constantly drawn to the eagle. Nice one.