Juvenile Coopers Hawk

Was able to get up to Mt Lemon the other day and was able to find an area that had almost no other people. I saw him get up on a perch and waited patiently for me to get around for an unobstructed shot and then went back to another perch in the same tree. Unusual behavior. Usually they fly off when you get any where near. I didn’t realize until I had him on my computer that he had only one leg. How unfortunate. I was amazed that he had survived this long. Mortality in raptors is about 50% in the first year. It did sadden me to think that he wouldn’t make it to adult hood but, I can hope for the best.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Sony RX10 lV, 220mm[equiv. 600 FF] f/4,1/800sec,ISO 400 ,center focus, spot meter.
LR Classic
Any comments are welcome.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A nice vertical shot. I like how hawk is positioned in the tree with no major branch merging with it. It is a nice bg also. The eye looks very sharp but I am not sure about the detail in the feathers. I might also clone some green over that little white spot on left photo edge.
Interesting story about the hawk. Odd that it wold lose a leg.

A nice look at the hawk with a good pose. The green background works well with the hawk. I could see a bit more contrast and sharpness in the body. You might play around with the high pass filter in PS and see what you think.

Thanks. I will give it a try

Looks to me like you nailed the eye. Beautiful colors, nice soft bokeh in background. And you have the hawk nicely framed up. The only possible improvement for the photo…might be to clone out some of the dark sticks crossing over the bird’s body. But there are almost always sticks like this with bird shots. They hardly ever just sit out in the open without all this stuff to deal with. But I think overall you’ve done a great job!

Nice look at the hawk and the eye is very sharp. I do agree with David that the body plumage is a little soft. With respect to the environment, I think most of the twigs are just fine but the one stick coming out of the upper left corner is really and eye grabber. I would clone that out.

Now that you mention it, my eye goes right to it. I’ll get to work in PS. Thanks