Juvenile Jurisdiction

This juvenile Bald Eagle definitely owned the air space when it launched right in front of me. It was a reactive shot and I got it all in the frame but it was over on the right side. I considered trying to add some space to the right side but decided it would work quite well with a square crop instead. This is another one I posted on the old site but was one of my favorites for the year.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 100mm, ISO-160, f/5.0, 1/2500, hand held.

Really nice detail, pose, and BG, Gary.
Works for me as a square, also.
Sandy

Wonderful catch Gary, and compliments on your reflexes! I fear that if you’d posted your original, I’d have been suggesting a crop to square.

Speaking “editorially” or at least on behalf of the editors and ADs I’ve worked with over the years, they get pretty inured to full frame shots and have to think in terms of their own crops. This would stand out in a big spread of submissions to choose between, and I bet it would fare well simply because it’s square and occupies the frame so well.

Gary, I’ve never photographed avian beyond maybe one or two on the ground or in the water. So, I can give a lot of respect to any flight or action shots such as this one here. You’ve done an excellent job for such a “grab” shot and agree all around on the square crop choice too…:sunglasses:

It would be one of mine too, Gary. Beautiful wing and tail positions.

Wow, Gary, this is awesome! Such a great shot, wonderful detail, the wing position, and that nice sky behind him. Square works for this shot, in my opinion.

This is superb, Gary. The details in the eagle are wonderful as is the BG. The square crop works as does the diagonal placement of the eagle. Beautiful image.

The frame filling view with great details in the bird is very striking, Gary. Easy to see why this is a favorite.