Sudden Course Correction

Two Bald Eagles took off and flew right over me. One of them suddenly changed course right above my head. I was following them in the viewfinder and was able to grab this shot. The eagle on the right is a little soft due to the wide aperture and narrow DOF but I still like the shot.

Sony a6500, SEL70200G f2.8 @ 114 mm, ISO-100, f/3.5, 1/4000, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
6 Likes

This is simply fabulous! The detail, even in the right hand bird is wonderful.

What a great capture of these sensational birds! :+1::+1:
–P

This is excellent!! What a great dramatic stop of action and showcase for these beauties.

Gary, love the major course correction as well as the details in both Eagles. Have you tried this as an 8.5x11, or 4x5 where the birds nearly fill the frame?

Gary: Fantastic action and beautiful birds. I might like a crop from the left as well but this is pretty wonderful as is. >=))>

Thanks, Mark. I haven’t cropped to either of those ratios yet but I have made square coasters from this image. I also did a 36" x 24" metal print for a customer that turned out great!

I like the shot also. Cool BG. Interesting painterly feel to the birds. Is that from the processing?