Juvenile Peregrine on a Stick

Came across this guy/gal on the coast this weekend. This was the second time I saw this bird. The first time led to the craziest encounter I think I’ve ever had in nature. I’ll post some photos of that one in the future. For this shot, it was just one of those lucky occurrences where a bird is on a nice perch in nice light. This weekend was the first time I’ve ever been near a peregrine. They are truly spectacular.

In post, I cropped in a bit for comp., resized the photo, sharpened the bird, reduced noise on the BG, and ran a curves layer on the bird only to give it a slight bump in contrast. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D850
700mm, tripod and gimbal
ISO 500
1/3200
f/6.3

Is this a composite: No

@lylegrubyphotography

A beautiful bird, Lyle. Excellent detail and I love the background. It may just be the slope of the land, but all five layers in the background look slightly tilted to the right. If it doesn’t mess too much with the bird, you might want to do a touch of counter-clockwise rotation.

You’re right. I didn’t even notice that! Thank you.

Excellent color and detail with a superb background. Nice that you were able to get so close.

Ouch! What a great shot, Lyle - the peregrine is simply stunning - the BG adds enormously - although I would tilt it a bit, even if due to the situation the image may be level, it looks as not. Other that small thing a stellar shot ! Cheers, Hans

Wow! Good for you Lyle. It is not often you see a Peregrine for a nice clean and close shot. Lovely colors on the bird and bg is lovely.

Very nice. Yes, adjusting the horizon is all this image needs. Well done…Jim