Juvenile Red-Shoulder

We have some pals that have an active Red-shoulder nest near their back deck. I took my camera yesterday when we went for a visit and managed some shots of the 4 fledglings hanging around in the vicinity of their nest. Here’s one I got.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 2200, Sharpen AI, cropped to 2696 x 2141

2 Likes

Looks like this one got lost in the shuffle. Nice catch of this new bird. It looks a bit stunned and like it just got done preening. I’d give a go with an adjustment brush on the brightest leaves and see if I could tone them down a bit. They are a great situational add, but they overwhelm the bird a bit. Such great clarity in that bird, too - don’t want to miss that.

Hi Dave
This photograph deserves more than one look. I think Kristen has a point about the hot spots, maybe lower the whole photo about 1/2 stop and add some spot brush work on the really hot leaves. The eyes on this fledgling are great. I also like the framing. Nice work.
Peter

Beautiful photo, Dave! Such great details in the feathers and it looks like he’s curious about what you’re doing! What a great capture and sighting!