Juvenile Yellow-rumped Warbler (Maybe?)

This bird showed up at my ground pond this afternoon and gave me quite a few shots, but when it came time to ID it, I found myself at a loss. Currently I’m going with Yellow-rumped Warbler, but I could certainly be convinced otherwise. As far as I can see, the only yellow is the small spot on the throat. I’ve included two other angles to help with ID. For my location, this should be the Audubon’s since I’m in Western Washington state near Olympia.

PS. The background in the second image is artificial. I wanted to smooth out my backgrounds from the blind, so I strung a section of camo nylap that the hunters use between a couple of 1x2’s and attach them to t-posts to form a backdrop. I can roll it up when I’m done so it doesn’t get wind damaged.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Data for Main Image: 7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 500mm, Tripod with ballhead and Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/500, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image, plumage enhancement with Topaz Detail 3. Cropped a bit off the bottom to get rid of most of the out of focus foreground, then had to crop from both sides to keep a reasonable aspect ratio, final size 4800x3348. Cleaned up some bright spots in the background. Local and global exposure adjustments. Taken today at 1:40 pm under cloudy skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Dennis,

I like the comps of numbers 1 and 3. Very detailed and young yellow rumped warblers are quite photogenic. I would darken the OOF edge stuff in the first image as it pulls my eyes down to the bottom. Well done…Jim

Nicely done Dennis. My preference would be for the second shot with the bird shifted just a bit to the left. I like that pose and the camo bg. as well. A nice relaxed bird.

As always, Dennis, I enjoy your images of your birds in your ponds. To me, they are all good shots, with nice details.

I also like the second image…