Kaleidoscope

Another Japanese Maple… Although it looks a bit like photo art, this is just a view with the camera laying on the ground pointing up. Any comments appreciated.
These are just small maples in my neighborhood. I see them from the street and just ask permission to get under them. The home owners are happy to let me…
This maple is only about 5 feet tall, I scout a lot of trees, not many work.

D800, 14mm800_3705npn2

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Wow, a unique perspective that really appeals to me. Well done!

I find this mesmerizing! It’s so dynamic and intense I fell like I’m going for a ride. I love the transition of colors from left to right. I would like to see this with the lens corrections turned on since the leaves on the edge are extremely stretched. Also there is a fair amount of chromatic aberration going on, did you have the corrections turned on for this?

Thanks David,
I appreciate your comments and agree…
This is a single shot and it is pretty extreme lighting under the trees.
I process in ACR which does a reasonable job with highlights and lowlights. I did use lens correction on this one I think. This is the Rokinon 14mm, an inexpensive but pretty cool lens. It does have its limitations. Not too sharp in the corners and the aberration is pretty noticeable.

These are fun to shoot, I have a lot in the last few days.
It is a short season.

1 Like

This one is really cool Dan! I like the comp and the transition from green to red to orange across the frame. I was going to point out the aberrations but David already did the honours.

Dan, this is wonderful, I prefer this one to your earlier post. It’s also pretty amazing that this tree is only 5 feet tall, the 14mm exaggerates it so much that it creates the illusion of the tree being much taller. Very creative seeing on your part. It must be pretty difficult finding compositions if you are working so low to the ground, so you’ve done a great job coming away with a composition as nice as this. Lightroom does have a lens profile for the Rokinnon 14mm ( I use it for nightscapes), but it still leaves some distortion after applying the profile.

Dan, these are a killer set of images. This might be my favorite. As David said - mesmerizing.
I would suggest cropping some of the right side to tighten the framing around the radiating tree branches. IMO , they are the star of the show.

Dan, I like this as much as your first, if not more. The WA effect at the corners seems to give it a pleasing sense of motion. Good stuff!

This is great. I probably like this more than the first. Very artistically creative.

This is awesome man! Love the composition and the variety of colors. I just see a few spots where there is like a cyan colored smudge from some moisture on the lense. You could get rid of those spots in Photoshop using a Hue/Saturation layer, then masking to only apply it to those spots, and then change the hue and also desaturate and probably darken a bit on the Cyan channel of the adjustment layer. Great shot man! Wow

Dan,

Wow, this one may be the best yet. I agree with David, Mesmerizing!! Kaleidoscope of color - Literally!

If you say it and laid underneath it, it must be true! I never, ever would have guess so small. I’m just envisioning a neighborhood that beats the heck out of the Portland Japanese Gardens… Great stuff!

Lon

Thanks Lon, I am not laying underneath the trees, I literally just place the camera on the ground and use a sock to prop it in various positions, put it on 5 sec. timer, reach in and press…
Check for comp, set and press again.
Not complicated at all and fun.
The Rokinon lens is really good at one thing and that is manual focus. I set at 1 ft. and f16 and get pretty sharp photos.
The contrast is tough to handle, it is pretty dark and the sky beyond gets blown a lot.
A real balancing act as far as light goes…