Kauai Hibiscus and variation

Variation:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I think I probably posted a version of this six years ago when I took it, but it popped upon my rotating background and I thought I could improve it quite a bit. The major problem I had with the previous version was that the shaded areas were rather gray looking-not a good thing for a flower. I used a luminosity mask and brought up the shadier areas quite a bit with a levels adjustment. I also did a few other adjustments and flipped the image horizontally.

Specific Feedback

Does the high key presentation work?

Technical Details

Canon 5DIII, 100 mm f2.8 macro, f/22, 1/50, iso 500. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3296x2944.

1 Like

The high-key works really well for me. I love the high-key treatment for delicate flowers like this. The petals look like tissue paper or flowing silk.

1 Like

I like the composition and the high key, but I long for something more that I can’t quite put my finger on – more contrast comes close but isn’t quite specific enough. Maybe this is artistic enough that some sort of edge effect might be an idea? Or just more color separation?

1 Like

YES! It does! :smiley:

I really like it!

For me, it only takes a moment to let my eyes adjust to the brightness, then the delicate nature of it comes through.
As some like to say: “You Nailed It!” :slight_smile:

Well done, Dennis! :slight_smile:

Thanks, @Bonnie_Lampley @Diane_Miller and @Merv. Diane: I understand what you mean (I think). I put up a quick and dirty variation with a microcontrast boost to bring out the veins and a bit more yellow added in.

1 Like

Dennis, I was afraid that more contrast and the resulting added detail to the veins might be a drawback to the delicate nature of the flower but after seeing it done that way, I think it added to the image overall and it didn’t seem to takeaway from the delicate feel.
@Diane_Miller had some good advice and it was good that you took the time to explore it and post the results! :slight_smile:

I’ll keep my vote for the original. While the added detail makes for a cool texture, for me it detracts from the delicate nature of the flower.

1 Like

Yes, for me that helped. Maybe it’s just my take because I’ve had so much trouble with yellows (and into oranges and reds) feeling too tonally flat.

1 Like

Dennis, did you try different colored BGs? To my eyes the top of the flower seems to get a bit lost in the white. It’s a gorgeous flower.

Didn’t think of it, Mike. The real background was white so I fixated on high key.

1 Like