Keeping Cool and rework

Rework to darken the rock and crop a little closer as suggested…

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As I was riding my bike down the hill I caught a glimpse of this critter in my peripheral vision! Had to stop and turn around and hope he was still there! I was rewarded with the cutest pose!

Technical Details

Nikon D 3400, ISO 800, 300 mm (450 equivalent), f 6.3, 800s, cropped slightly

3 Likes

Hi Vanessa,
what a relaxed little guy. I love the composition. The chipmunk is nicely framed by the rocks. And with this pose he just begged to be photographed.

I wonder what the picture would look like if you darkened the bottom rock very slightly (but just a tiny bit).

You were so lucky to have the time to turn around, get your camera out and shoot the little guy.
Well done!

1 Like

Hey Vanessa - nice to see you back with us again. Life gets in the way sometimes, I know.

I love this to bits. Lately I’ve been spending time with the chippies in my yard and they are such fun to watch. I’ve seen squirrels lay down like this, but never these guys so it’s a treat to see it with this one. Great eye to see him and then stealthily approach for this. I agree that you could tone the bright rock just a hair and maybe increase saturation on Mr Chips there. Super job.

2 Likes

Sweet capture, Vanessa! Love how the rocks and the squirrel blend so well together. Great composition.

1 Like

How cute!!! Great capture! I think you could trim a little more off the top and right (and even a bit off the bottom) to make him even more prominent in the frame. Good idea above to darken the bottom with a soft gradient.

1 Like

What a cutie, Vanessa! Love how he is so relaxed. I agree with the advice already provided. So glad you are able to be on here again.

1 Like

Thank you @Jens_Ober @Kris_Smith @linda_mellor @Diane_Miller @Shirley_Freeman for your feedback and comments! Yeah, I can see that the rock is a bit too bright from the harsh sun . That makes sense to bring that brightness down. Also I think I didn’t want to crop anymore because I wanted the little cave he was in to still be apparent. But I think that would work also for getting rid of some of the bright rock! I’m glad you like it. It sure was fun watching him! Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, great capture - a really cute image of this guy hanging out in his domain. A tighter crop would be interesting but I like this composition as well as since like you said it shows his lair quite well. The lower rock goes from bright to dark just as the subject does. I could see playing around with the lower rock brightness but I don’t see that as a biggie. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks so much @Allen_Sparks for looking and your feedback! I’m glad you like it!

Great story, nicely framed Vanessa
I would consider darkening the rock the squirrel is relaxing on - might bring out the subject better

1 Like

Thanks @Karl_Zuzarte for that suggestion. It seems like the overall consensus is to darken the rock. I tried doing it and reposted. I think the app I have though darkened the chipmunk too, but maybe it’s improved overall?

I like your rework Vanessa. Yes, what a cutie! Even wildlife likes to chill out now and then! Good eye as you were riding by!

1 Like

Much improved! No question. I would venture to suggest darkening it a tad more

1 Like