Ladybug after rain

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this ladybug after a bout of heavy rain in the reeds, in the park near where I live. The red of its shield really stood out against the spring green of the reeds. I wonder how it feels for such a tiny insect to have such large drops hanging from its back.

I used camera raw to enhance the ladybug and soften the background.

Technical Details

F2.8
Shutterspeed 1/640
ISO 250
focal length 90mm
Shot with Sony 7RV and Sony 90/f2.8 lens

1 Like

Judith, this image is wonderful! I love that the droplet is clinging to the ladybug. The only thing that I might suggest is brushing some green into the yellow of the grass on the right. It keeps pulling my eye away from the star of the show!

1 Like

Thank you Susanna, I will have a look at that.

Judith: A great find and a fine comp and capture. I especially like your DOF management. I think I would make the short grass blade on the right just disappear. Even darkened it is a distraction that takes away from the dynamic between the small red ladybug and the large green grass blade. Well seen. >=))>

2 Likes

Judith, I was thinking along the same lines as @Bill_Fach crop, but he beat me to it. It makes it more about the Ladybug and the big droplet she is having to deal with. I love the smooth Background, it makes her really stand out.

1 Like

A lovely image, Judith. I love the softness of the environs and the way the grass blade the ladybug is perched on comes out of nothingness. I was going to suggest going to a vertical crop with neither of the two blades on the sides, but I think Bill’s crop works even better because it keeps the ladybug smaller in the frame which is part of what this image is all about to me.

1 Like

Thanks Bill, that does look good!

Thank you, it does look good cropped like that.

1 Like

Thank you Dennis, I think this crop (of Bill’s) works really well.

Wonderful find and well photographed with excellent detail – I’m happy you gave us a chance to enjoy it!! Good suggestions above on the crops, but I wonder if you rotated it – or maybe the camera at capture? I see the idea of wanting the grass vertical but the water droplet would have been hanging vertical, like this:

1 Like

Judith, what a great image you captured there. The large droplets add a great sense of dimension to the Ladybug. Speaking of dimensions, the large grass blade in the FG is also great for comparison, but it does pull my eyes away from the main star. I like the size contrast between the Ladybug and the grass, but the grass distracts from lingering on the bug and delving into its details. At this point, I’m inclined to go with the same suggestion made by @Dennis_Plank . I think there are already enough dimensional elements in the image. Leaving the thin grass the Ladybug is on and the droplets would accentuate the dimensional disparity and leave no room for distractions.

As you can see, we are all coming from different directions. :slight_smile: It’s a fine image regardless of any changes you choose to make to it.

I like Bill’s crop - it’s a gorgeous image. I just think you should move it to the Weekly Challenge, but maybe that’s not possible (?).

1 Like

Judith, this is a delightful view of this wet ladybug. I’m enjoying how small it is in the frame and your inclusion of the grass blades. Both of those fit well with the “after the rain” story you’re telling. I also see multiple possibilities for post processing. adjustments. Bill’s crop works well as it balances attention between the sharp blade and the ladybug. I also wonder about some blurring of the sharp area of the blade on the left and all of the blade on the right as that would retain the context but focus even more attention on the ladybug as it emphasizes it’s small size.

1 Like

I’m guessing this is the way it looked based upon the way the leaves are oriented. The surface tension of the water can easily overcome gravity with these small droplets.

That said, there is some validity to the artistic aspect of making it feel right to the eye, so that goes to personal preference there. I just wanted to clear up the scientific bit of why the water looks to be defying gravity, because it probably is! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Diana, thanks for the compliments. I didn’t rotate the photo or camera, I think the drop is stuck on the ladybugs legs like this.

Thanks David! Good to have this explained this way.

Thank you Mark, I think blurring the sharp part of the big leaf would work well, I will have a go at all your suggestions later this week and post an update.

BTW (as Egídio notes), water drops smaller than a few millimiters in diameter have surface tension forces that can easily equal or exceed the force of gravity. I’m sure you’ve seen images of lots of things where the drops are sitting horizontally. Given the size of the ladybug and the fact that the drop is smaller than the subject, that’s clearly the case here.

1 Like

Thanks Mark.

I stand corrected! I’ve never noticed a horizontal droplet, but with some support from the Ladybug’s legs (or other uneven areas on leaves and the like in other cases) I can believe it.

1 Like