Lake Ohau

Lake Ohau is a lesser-known lake and one of the least populated lakes in the South Island of New Zealand. It’s only a little off the beaten track and I was surprised to see we were the only people here.

Specific Feedback Requested

The horizon line seems to be a little wonky. The far horizon was easy to level but the mountain bulges out into the lake making for an uneven line. Does the horizon look off?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 250 24-70@24mm f10 1/160

Basic adjustments in ACR include Highlights reduced, Shadows lifted and a touch of Contrast added. In PS a couple of HSL Layers.

1 Like

Beautiful mix of colors, with lots of different warm/cool contrasts. The horizon line looks fine to me. Getting nitty, I would not mind a little extra breathing room on the right, but not a biggy. Looks real nice.

Glennie, the turquoise lake contrast beautifully with the golden trees. I also like the visual balance between the mountain and the trees. That thought has me thinking that a slight crop from the left would emphasize that balance even more (artistic choice). The horizon looks fine, given that base of the mountain is not flat and it’s receding into the distance, there’s no reason to try to make it flat.

Wonderful colors and subject! The horizon looks great to me, and I’m sort of the horizon police (similar to the avian head angle police, but less subjective). I’m wondering about a little more contrast in the mountain. There is more light from a slight break in the clouds on the left and it could be plausible that it extended to the mountain. I’m also wondering if subtle gradient burns in the LR and UL, angled to match the shoreline, would further emphasize the dynamic composition.

Beautiful image. Greats lines and colors. The right edge seems fine to me. I would rotate the whole image clockwise just a tiny bit to try to make the horizon (lake/water) seem level, but as is it is not so bothersome and definitely not a deal breaker.