Landing Practice

Here is one of the green heron fledglings coming in for a landing. They fly slower than the adults but still get along pretty well. Two of them are still using their nest area as a home base. Taken this morning.
Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x TC III
ISO 640, f6.3, 1/2500s

Here is a close up of one of the fledglings. Taken yesterday.

And I think I’ll share this shot taken Sunday of a parent exiting after a feeding session:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

2 Likes

Love the dark background you got on this image Allen. He looks nice and sharp also. Great exposure and colors too. Looks like he’s doing ok with is flights as well. He’s got plenty of room to fly into his landing area so the crop looks great. 2 very small nits…I only wish the far wing didn’t intersect with his head but definitely not a deal breaker. The URC is slightly distracting with the light green and the black band going through it. Easy fix if you cared but this is really great as is. You sure look like you’re having fun with this group.
The other two images paint your story. A tired a relieved parent resting and the mayhem after a feeding.

What a spectacular series of photos. You’ve really hit the jackpot here with these green herons. It must have been lots of fun to watch this family. Beautiful work.

Keep this series going, Allen. LOVE it. The light here is gorgeous and you’ve got yourself a very nice color on the water in the BG. The last one is super good. The lighting is perfect and they are almost equally sharp. I do think it can be rotated CCW a little bit (level the water ripple) but you may want to add back a bit of real estate maybe using content aware fill. I would also clone out that specular highlights on the very left edge of the frame just slightly above the adult.

I can’t pick a favorite among these. You nailed the one in flight, the portrait is gorgeous, and the family one is fun and unique. I do agree with the wing-intersection point and the rotation issue. I just want you to keep going every day!

I can see why the parent would be in a hurry to leave in that last image, Allen. I would be too. I like the landing image. Beautifully executed and timed. It looks to me as if the near eye was a bit distracted by the photographer rather than concentrating on landing. A good portrait as well.

Hi Allen
This series looks like you had a lot of fun photograph the Green Heron family. Nice work. The only this I would try is to lower the exposure in the third shot, of Heron’s take 0ff. I know he is flying right through the light.
Peter