Lark Sparrow

Description:

Lark sparrows are considered to be endangered in the Eastern portion of the Midwest due to the scarcity of high quality short grass prairie. This particular bird lives in the Oak Openings Metro Park near Whitehouse, Ohio. People are not allowed into the prairie, so I used a 1.4x teleconverter with my 600 f4 to capture the scene. These are ground nesting sparrows and their nest can be disturbed or destroyed when individuals go in to pursue the bird for photos or a better look. I stayed behind the velvet rope (LOL). There is not a lot of perches for these birds so this guy decided to use the metal post for a bluebird nest box.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D850 600mm f4 + 1.4x teleconverter (1/4000 sec at f6.3, ISO 1000, fill flash 1/16 power) Levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, increased midtone contrast to bring up feather details, generous crop to 8x11).

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Beautiful colors in the bird, Jim, and an interesting back story. I love the contrast between the straight lines and right angles of the perch and the curves of the bird.

1 Like

What a little beauty! So glad efforts are being made to help them and I hope other photographers are as respectful as you. The markings in the face are so lovely - sparrows vary so much, don’t they? Love those little feet. You could crop out some of the post if you wanted. Super job. Is there more detail in the breast feathers? If there is maybe dehaze or clarity could bring it out. What a lovely little creature.

1 Like

Very cool, and thanks for the story too.

1 Like

Very interesting Jim. As Dennis says the contrast between the perch and the bird works well. I also like the fact that the color on the perch mirrors some of the color on the bird.

1 Like

What a gorgeous sparrow! And he chose the perfect color-coordinated perch! Excellent capture and processing.

1 Like