Last leaf + repost

repost:

original:

While walking on our local nature trail a few days ago this single leaf jumped out at me. Of course I had to try and do it some justice. I am not sure what type of leaf it is and have searched on iNaturalist. So far the only suggestions I’ve gotten are some type of Dicots. I have no clue what type of tree that is either. Any thoughts on the kind of leaf this is would be great.
I love the angled log coming in from the right and the subdued background. It was a cloudy day so there were no harsh lighting conditions, which helped a lot.
Does the tiny bit of green at the bottom of the leaf draw too much attention? Or the twigs going across the log? Other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Basic adjustments in ACR. PS desaturated the leaf on the left side of the red leaf, cropped 5:4, added a slight freehand vignette and soft pop using TK8 panel.

Z6ii, f/11, 1/60 sec., iso 400 @200mm (28mm-300mm), tripod.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Lovely!! The leaf has perfect color, a wonderful shape and a great setting with wonderfully subdued color. I love the bit of insect damage and the tiny green sprig is a lovely grace note.

My only suggestion is to remove the light twig on the left border, and maybe the one in the UL corner. A slight crop could also do the job and might make that edge a little cleaner.

PictureThis says it’s Roundleaf Greenbrier.

Thanks @Diane_Miller. I did a little of both; cropped and a bit of cloning. Much better! I was a bit surprised that iNaturalist was having some difficulty ID this, so thanks for that also.

1 Like

The crop works for me! Simplifies your photo so well. I think it’s a nice find that I’d have spent time over, too, if I’d seen it. I like the different stages of decay and how the textures differ between them. Sharpness is good and the saturation looks natural. The forest floor has such fantastic little treats for us.

Linda, I don’t know what kind of leaf it is, but it sure was a good find. It’s shape and color reminded me of a heart. I like the crop too. Very nice.

1 Like

Thanks, @Kris_Smith and @Shirley_Freeman. I was a little concerned it would come across as boring, but that day on the trail, it was shining like a beacon. . .calling me! Pretty sure it was the overcast day that made the leaf stand out so much, but still fun to photograph. Thanks again.

1 Like

Linda, this is a good looking nature-in-winter view. You have a good collection of small details surrounding that nicely colorful (but slightly eaten) leaf. I especially like the extra glow around the petiole. Your crop works well by removing that warm brown leaf near the edge.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Mark_Seaver. I appreciate your perspective and comments.