Old leaf spontaneous posting

This is a spontaneous posting inspired by other postings (A tiny wonderment This Here is Dead - #5 by Mark_Seaver) refering to the Anne Belmont article
What Remains: The Beauty of Winter in the Garden .

With this posting I just want to express my interest in finding images in the not-so-perfect such as things dead, desiccated, withered etc.

This image where dropped when chosing images for my Boring Days Series (Boring Days Series - #12 by Igor_Doncov). But revisiting this image I thought it was OK for posting.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

Ola, I am glad you posted this. I really like it a lot. The shades of brown are a real treat. The thirds broken up on a slant is visually nice. The image has a 3D appearance, with the top leaves seeming to be closest, the leaf/log in the center next closest (probably is actually closest of all since that is where the focus is), and the bottom group of leaves further away. The lighter colored leaf in the center, against the dark log, stands out to be the subject. Well seen and captured. A very nice presentation, and right off, I can’t think of a thing to improve it.

Aw, thanks Ola. It’s funny, I can hardly pass by a leaf in the snow - the more decomposed the better sometimes. The process is so natural and it is interesting. This leaf is a terrific example of how things break down and return to the energy cycle. You’ve kept the focus sharp, but not overly crispy on the leaf. Since it is well into decay, I think that’s quite fitting. So great that it’s basically whole, too. The dark log and the strong diagonal sets it off well and the complimentary brown and tan shades of the other leaves echo the transition back to soil. Brava!

Great little scene. Well seen and processed. I might play with a vignette around the outside to further highlight the leaf, but no other suggestions. I quite like this one.

Ola, that main leaf really stands out well, with excellent details set off by the dark branch below.

Ola: One has to view the largest version to really appreciate the wonderful textures in all of the elements. Just goes to prove that what some might consider mundane subject matter can produce a compelling and interesting image. Most excellent. >=))>

@Bill_Fach, @Shirley_Freeman, @Kris_Smith, @Mark_Seaver and @Harley_Goldman thanks for your kind comments.

Harley, I will try to add vignette.

Bill, you could say that my interest to find this kind of images have two sources. First, when I started as a hobby photographer two-and-a-half years ago by participating in a workshop, the leader where an expert in finding small scenes. That inspired me a lot. Secondly since I live in an area that at least throughout the winter have a rather dull weather (not many days with snow; not that many days with temperatures below the freezing point) I have no option but to find something interesting in what is given. First I was forced to, but rather soon I found it very awarding.

1 Like

I keep coming back to look at this - it’s wonderfully framed. And I do love a nice weathered leaf. It does have a sense of depth, but perhaps that could be accentuated if the background leaves were cooled just a touch. It’s lovely, as is, though.

@Bonnie_Lampley, thanks for your kind words. I will go back and try your proposal to cool the background leaves somewhat.