The old and newly fallen + Repost

While wandering in the woods looking for Fall compositions, I was drawn to these contrasting subjects - both visually and symbolically.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any critique welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I can sure see why you were drawn to these contrasting subjects. I like the old rugged wood, the wavy lines leading through the image. The colorful leaf on what is almost B&W background, makes the leaf stand out nicely. For me, the top left corner seems to draw my eye. I am wondering if a slight vignette would calm that down and help any. Might just be me. A real fine capture and a nice find.

Bill: A really nice find indeed and a good comp and capture. I agree with Shirley about cleaning up the ULC. I would either do a vignette or consider some content aware fill. Still pretty darn good as is. BTW, the current Weekly Challenge is Leaves so if you have more of these you might consider posting there. >=))>

Shirley, Thank you for your critique. I took you advice and modified the left corner using Photoshop content aware fill (attached) - much better. Thanks again. Bill

1 Like

Bill, Thanks for the critique. Following Shirley’s and your advice, I edited the left corner. Much better. Thanks, Bill

Bill: This is a nice improvement and makes an already fine image even better. I edited your title to reflect the repost. You can do this yourself and it’s always a good idea to do so so that others can revisit the image. >=))>

A very nice photo. I really like how you have the bright colorful leaf going one direction and the darker almost b/w log going the other. A nice creation well done. Repost looks better.

1 Like

I remember hearing that photography is art for those who cannot draw. Well, this image shows that photography is for poets who are not satisfied with mere words. The colors, composition, title and the overall image are deeply pleasing to me.
While I agree with all about the brightness of the ULC I quite enjoy its texture. My thought was to desaturate and darken it. I think the result mirrors a bit the lower right.

Dick, Thanks for your feedback. I like your poetry analogy. For me , I was immediately drawn to the contrasts in this image, but I had to live with it for a while before the title emerged. The process was pure fun. Bill

Love this image that contrasts almost black and white dead wood and the colorful leaf that is still alive. Love the diagonal lines and texture on the wood. I like the repost made by Dick. It is poetry in nature. very well conceived and captured.

Bill, the contrast between the colors in the fallen leaf and the large b&w (presumably) fallen log look great. There’s a fine clean starkness. Darkening the upper left corner works well as does content aware, although I expect that content aware takes significantly more effort.