Late Light

REWORK

ORIGINAL

Not too much to say about this one other than it is what it is – an abstract. What I’d like to know is whether it holds your attention and how you experience it? I didn’t want to overdo the contrast. Does this feel about right to you?
P.S. I’m having a bit of a hard time downloading this to look as it does on my monitor. I tried upping the opacity % for web sharpening but it doesn’t seem to be capturing the detail on my home screen. Not quite sure what to do, never had this problem before. Just doesn’t have the pop I’m seeing on my computer (just calibrated by the way).

3 Likes

Well there is more to say than that it is just an abstract. How did it become an abstract? By the framing, by the side light, by the choice of only including lines and shapes and textures. It looks like the bark of a tree, but that is irrelevant for appreciating this image. One can see it as three more or less parallel curves intersected by a straight line. One can also see four irregular cilinders (curvature emphasised by side lighting) cut off by the already mentioned straight line. There is similarity, nearness and continuity at work. Continuity ‘produces’ another straight line, less obvious to me at first. It runs from the left, just above the middle, to the lrc. For me the two straight lines and the three curves are keeping the image together. Besides, that explains why the first straight line is placed high in the frame. As a very minor comment: I would consider darkening the light spot in the middle at the upper boundary. Great image.

Kerry, This kind of image holds my attention while asking myself what I see. To me a strong image not with a tale but with inspiration to think further . Abstract, yes but with a feeling. Love it !

I like the low angled light, Kerry. This does hold my attention. And I keep thinking of all the forest fires we’ve had over the recent years. Terrific image.

I find myself looking at all the subtle striations left in the wood - this is a burnt log, right? The section you chose is so clean and uniform, not damaged or irregular. Perfect fodder for an abstract. I like that you left it in color, too. The subtle play of pastels on the surface is quite a nice touch. I can see losing the tiny bit at the top. Super job.

Kerry,

This most certainly holds my attention! It’s the make up of a small scene that I myself am always on the lookout for.

I’d say the contrast and processing in general is spot on. Agree with Kris that I’m glad this is in color - with just the hints of blue in the highlighted areas. Can’t make any suggestions in processing. Well, this isn’t processing per se, but along the lines of Kris’s comment also the crop from the top - if anything, I think you could simply mitigate the brighter patch along the top edge - either via crop or targeted adjustments. But that’s about as picky as I can get with this one!

Although I easily recognize the subject, I also agree with Igor that it’s not important… This is totally abstract. In fact, if I stare too long, the valley’s become ridges and vice-versa… a mind bender, optical illusion. Very cool!

Lon

A bit late on this one Kerry. The framing is exceptional utilizing vertical lines intersected with the one sloping horizontal line and in just the right proportion. The low angled light really helps to pop the silvery ridges of the burnt bark and I love the richness of the deep dark blacks. This is a beautiful abstract that holds the attention of the viewer because there is so much going on. I would play up the brownish reds in that off camber, horizontal crack even more than you have and also dodge the URC so it’s not quite so black. The small bright spot in the middle of the very top of the image has already been mentioned and I would burn it even more. I’m really enjoying this one Kerry. Loving your intimate work.

@Igor_Hoveijn - Igor, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your detailed and carefully considered critique - more like an analysis really - of my work. Naturally, I wasn’t “thinking” about all of those things but basically in honing in on balance that is essentially what I came to. And yes, I missed that bright bit and in the posted rework I used frequency separation to retain the texture but blend the colour.
@Ben_van_der_Sande , @David_Bostock , @Kris_Smith , @Lon_Overacker , @David_Haynes - Thank you all for your invaluable and supportive feedback. It amazes me sometimes when it comes to the little details I miss that are picked up by fresh eyes and I thank you all for that. I have posted a rework (scroll up) that addresses the bright spot at the top as well as taking your suggestions, @David_Haynes and easing the dark upper right corner and bumping the reds in the cracks . What do you think about the rework - minor stuff but I think it improves things overall. Thanks again for your fresh eyes.

1 Like

I’m simply amazed at how such “minor stuff” can have such a marked improvement on an image. For me at least, a big reason for being so scrutinizing on images. “A little goes a long ways…” an old adage.

Thanks for taking the time Kerry to rework and repost.

I immediately saw this as high altitude view of the Basin and Range province in Nevada, with a transverse fault across the top. I’ll never look at burnt logs the same way again. :slight_smile:

This is very nice Kerry.
I love the intricate details you gave us and the beautiful composition.
I do like the original post best. Both the dark URC and the “white spot” suggest repetition and continuity.