Layers in Death Valley

I was driving from Furnace Creek to Stovepipe Wells as clouds were rapidly changing. This spot of the dunes suddenly lit and I pulled over and took the photo, and the light on the dunes was gone almost immediately. Any comments or critiques welcome.

1 Like

This is gorgeous, Tony. My eye focused immediately on the sunlit dunes and then gave me a lovely surprise when I realized there were all those clouds and mountains behind the dunes. A wonderful image.

I think I know the spot where this was taken. I would experiment with moving the WB slightly towards cooler colors.

Tony: Great capture of a marvelous moment. The atmospherics are especially enticing. Most excellent. >=))>

I agree with Igor about maybe going cooler with the white balance. I love moments like these when you’re not really expecting anything to happen but it does, that’s what fleeting light is all about. Looks like the devil’s cornfield in the foreground. You captured some wonderfully dramatic clouds and snow capped peaks. I have not been to Death Valley yet this winter and with the virus probably won’t make it this year. Very disappointing to me. Glad you got to go and capture a nice image.

Tony, the multitude of vertical layers are outstanding. The pano format fits the layering perfectly. What a great “drive by shooting”… :wink:

Well composed with outstanding light and layers. You had some great weather for this image and you took advantage of it. Very nice. The warm light in the foreground is perfect.