Leaves of Gold

Mike and I found this tree while driving in the fog along Skyline Drive, just begging to be photographed and I was more than happy to oblige. We were hoping for some fog; as we timed our day trip to a rain event; and I have to say that we were rewarded with some lovely conditions. Shenandoah has a number of pullouts for overlooks, but very few places to pull over if something catches your eye. For this image we lucked out and found a small graveled area by the roadside; not to far from this spot; and walked back to our location.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 70mm, f 8 @ 1/50 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod.

4 Likes

This is sweet, Ed. I mean that in an awesome way. :slight_smile:
The fog, the colors, and your composition make this a real winner. I really like how the fog makes the background essentially disappear except for the few trees that balance out the scene. Excellent in every way.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad foggy landscape and this is a good one. This one has great atmosphere and mood. You could have made this cool but I like this warm version.

1 Like

Excellent scene, color and dreamy mood. Maybe lose or burn the bright leaves along the bottom? But extremely minor, great image.

1 Like

Love enjoying this gentle fall scene, Ed. Thanks for sharing it with us.

2 Likes

An excellent foggy autumn forest Ed, I love it. When the fog gets this thick you can really take advantage of it’s ability to create a sense of depth in an image, and you took full advantage of that here. I think the warm processing works well here to create a dreamy, painterly look. It doesn’t get much better than this, great work Ed.

1 Like

Ed, this is a fine mix of mysterious and inviting, with the fog, the trunks and the big spray of lovely yellow leaves.

1 Like

Just gorgeous. I can picture that tree waving a branch as you approached and shouting Pick Me! Pick Me!

1 Like

Beautifully seen and photographed. I love the atmospheric perspective! The branch is framed so nicely. I can see another version (not better, just different) that is simpler, just focused on the branch. It suggests some artistic filtering, and I did a bit of Classical Soft Focus and Dream Glow.

3 Likes

Not a nit, only a suggestion, Ed. I would desaturate the color on the clump of leaves on the ULC. This is quite gorgeous. I really like how the luminosity on the overhanging leaves. They give such an uplifting mood.

1 Like

Superlative, Ed. Frame it.!!!
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

I really appreciate everyone @David_Bostock, @Igor_Doncov, @Harley_Goldman, @linda_mellor, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Diane_Miller, @Adhika_Lie and @Michael_Lowe for taking the time to stop and leave your thoughts. Mike and I had some wonderful shooting conditions with the fog.

@Diane_Miller : Thanks so much for taking the time to do a repost. I will have to play around with your suggestions and see what I come up with.

This one is my favorite foggy forest scene of yours so far! I love yellow and I love how the fog diffuses it.

I love this one. A good composition, and the colors and the fog are just great. The fog just give that perfect dreamy feeling, and at the same time the branch/leaves are sharp enough to give a lot of texture. As I said I like the composition, but you could also explore to crop from the left.

Really nice rework, @Diane_Miller , exactly where my mind went when I saw this image.

Ed, This is wonderful work! Beautiful capture of autumn on a perfect day for it! Love this!