Leaves of Gold #3

Another image from a wonderful day of shooting with my brother in the fog at Shenandoah NP, VA. We saw very few reds while in the park, but yellows were on full display and definitely the predominate color. This was originally a vertical, but when I got home and started working on it this crop seemed like the way to proceed.

As always thanks for taking a moment and leaving your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 52mm, f 11 @ 1/60 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod

2 Likes

Excellent, Ed. I love how you’ve cooled the image down some and gotten rid of some of the FG haze/fog. Top notch work. I’m going to be ultra nit-picky and suggset getting rid of that one gray leaf in the URC. It’s a minor eye grabber. :vulcan_salute: :+1:

1 Like

Really good one. I could see desaturating the leaves in the upper right quadrant and leaving the big emphasis on the lower center ones. Excellent mood and feel. You guys are nailing with these images.

1 Like

It’s a bit of a haunting look, isn’t it. I agree with @Harley_Goldman about desaturating the small group in the upper right but I would also do that to the center ones as well for it’s looking a bit unnaturally hot.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts @Michael_Lowe, @Harley_Goldman and @Igor_Doncov ; glad you guys enjoyed the image.

@Harley_Goldman and @Igor_Doncov : I will work on a little desaturation in those areas and see what I can come up with.

Ed, I love the creaminess of the background fog, your processing nailed the luminosity and density of how the fog looks, creating a very pleasing look.

I agree with Harley’s comment on the reducing the saturation of the leaves in the URC, given it is on an edge. I also agree with Igor about reducing the yellow saturation in the bottom center, for my taste it is a bit strong. Unlike Mikes image, the light and fog density are more evenly distributed across this scene, which I think calls for a more balanced distribution of yellow saturation.

1 Like

Hard to find much to improve on in this image, and what little there is has been covered above. It’s absolutely wonderful!

1 Like

I’m really liking the square crop even though I don’t know what was cropped. This has a moody, almost 3 dimensional look and feel to it. I literally feel like I’m cold and damp walking through a wooded forest. I have to say that I rather like the bright section in the lower center of the frame as well as the section in the URC. I feel like the image would be very flat without those sections popping with color and it’s these sections that give it the 3 d effect, I think. Great composition on this Ed.

1 Like