Leaves

Description: Rain drops on leaves.

Specific Feedback Requested: All comments welcome. I do not know what the plant is, just liked the arrangement of the leaves.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

2 Likes

The raindrops and the yellow veins really make this sing. The yellow/lighter leaf on the left is…I don’t know…intrusive somehow. Not sure what you could have done though. Possibly a tighter crop? Do you have another angle? This is a lovely plant, but I can’t help with an ID either.

Anthony, this is a fine collection of wet leaves. They look likely to be English Ivy (a major invasive vine in North America). The extra yellowness of the two leaves on the left can be toned down either by burning-in or if your software allows it, doing a local saturation adjustment (burning-in will probably be enough). I like how the two main leaves angle across the frame and the burning-in will let those two play a stronger role in the frame.

I love the subtle shading that brings out the 3D shapes of the leaves, and the variation in greens and yellows. The sharpness is appealing as well.

Good suggestions by @Mark_Seaver . It is English Ivy or Common Ivy (Hedera helix). Have a look at it in winter for some interesting reddish-brown variations.

Nice arrangement of leaves and I like how the light shows the slight undulations. The leaves receding in the shadow create depth. Definitively looks like Hedera helix (indigenous where I live) to me. Three leaves of increasing size on the diagonal define the composition while almost all others are cut off by the frame boundaries. Nicely seen.

Kris, thanks for your comments, I will look at those leaves and try burning in as suggested by Mark Seavor.

Thanks Mark, I will try what you have suggested.

Thanks Diane and @Igor_Hoveijn for the plant identification and your comments.