Lenticular Z

On the last night of my desert trip last week, the lenticular clouds treated me to quite the brilliant display. It was among the top sunsets I have ever seen.

1 Like

Harley, outstanding sky and overall cloud gathering. The one bright streaking cloud is quite unique. I think we’d all love to have a sky like this in many of our own photographic scenes. … :sunglasses:

1 Like

This must have been totally insane to witness in real life. While that long orange ribbon cloud is amazing, I keep finding myself drawn to the small orange cloud in the center, it small, but amazing in it’s own right. When I see clouds like this, I’m rarely anyplace with a good foreground. It looks like you had the same problem here, but you know what, it doesn’t matter. These clouds are so good they can stand on their own.

Ditto to that. Oh my, can’t say I’ve ever seen something like this. That one streak is almost “mechanical”

Pretty intense Harley and no doubt would be in anyone’s top sunset list.

Got nothin’ - no nits or suggestions.

Lon

That’s some sky! Great color and processing!

One thing to consider is crop from the top to eliminate the dark area in the ULC. The darkness and it’s color is out of key with the rest of the sky, in my opinion. Not really a big deal, but thought I’d mention it.

That Z lenticular is quite unique. Great catch, Harley!
-P

Harley, what an amazing sky to get to watch (and photograph). Wow!

Damn, killer lenticulars. Processing looks good. I think the choice of leaving the hills dark works well in this image. I agree with @Preston_Birdwell on cropping from the top into more of a pano orientation, placing more focus on the bottom half of the clouds anchored with the strip of hills. Composition-wise I think you did as well as you could given what you had to work with.

Yes, an amazing spectacularly beautiful photo. I think the composition, including the black foreground works very well. Regarding Preston’s suggestion to crop, rather than crop you might consider darkening the upper right corner just a bit to balance the luminosity of the upper left.

It is a gorgeous sky with some remarkable colour and shapes but I tend to share Ed’s view that it is a pity there wasn’t a foreground to match such an epic sky.

Harley: Spectacular and I really envy you the experience. I had an encounter with a majestic sky at Great Sand Dunes NP and it remains one of my most memorable experiences. Great capture of a wonderful moment. >=))>