Let the Spring Migration Begin

After a winter with about four species of small birds, the variety has kicked up a notch with a Pine Siskin and the first Goldfinch of the year. Perhaps others will follow. This is of course a Pine Siskin.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Taken in warm morning light. No flash.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-640, 100-400 at 400 mm, F5 .6, 2500th, 70% full frame,A7R4, minimal processing and no added sharpening.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David, nice bird and perch with fine details. Love all that moss and the background is complimentary too. Subject nicely positioned in the frame. Did you do some post processing at the bottom of the perch where it nearly touches the frame bottom? Looks somewhat cut off there to me. Still a really nice image.

Very pleasing complementary color palette. Good detail and pose in the siskin. And, I like the mossy perch.

I love the setting here–from the moss, to the warm light, to the BG–really nice. Bird looks really good, with fine details. I also noticed the cloning artifact (or something) at the bottom. That’s my only nit.

Very nice - both subject and setting. Excellent color harmony and nice light.

A very striking shot, David! I love the lighting and the complimentary colors of the moss and background. Nice composition and excellent detail too. My only nit is the same as others (the little spot at the bottom). This would really lighten up a room if you hung it!