Life without Photoshop

Common Merganser Male

Specific Feedback Requested

My creative cloud app crashed and Photoshop stopped working… A semi major problem which is going to require a complete wipeoff and reinstall of everything I think on my nice New Mac… Adobe can’t fix it.
So this photo and the one I posted a couple days ago are post processed completely in Capture one which is the best RAW converter but has no plugins so no Topaz denoise and no TK actions for now…
There is no real web downsize on Capture either so producing web quality that suits me is a work in progress for now…
Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, 500mm, f4.8, 1/1250, iso400

Well, I’d say that is a matter of opinion. Certainly a good product, but the best… hmmmm…

The whites aren’t blown but even looking at them in PS, there are no details in the plumage. Hopefully a few adjustments in RAW can pull some details out.

I like the rest of the image with a nice angle and nice water.

In my opinion, Capture has better color and a lot less noise which is very easy to check, I had both Lightroom and ACR, the Capture conversions are just better.
Adobe color profiles are just average… I miss a few PS features and I plan on getting it working again but for so many things, it is just not that great…
You can get free or very inexpensive software for instance that stacks much better than PS.
I pay $120 a year and still have to use plugins and other software to do what I want.
That is my Adobe rant…

Real nice water. I like the body position of the Merganser. But the white plumage detail is a little hot.

Hi Dan
I agree with Keith and David on the whites. The rest of this photograph I really like (color and framing). When I moves into my new iMac, I had to leave Lightroom and either pay $$$ a year for the cloud service or find another software platform. I move to DxO Photo Lab4 ( one time fee) no cloud rental. Good luck the move.
Peter

Peter-the latest version of the iMac OS doesn’t support Lightroom Classic? That’s rather disturbing.

I like the low level look and that you were able to get close to the merganser. The water is nice as well.

LightRoom Classic runs fine on anything newer than Mac OS Mojave (10.14.x). Recommended is Catalina (10.15.x) or Big Sur (11.x). Big Sur is the latest and I have helped clients move to new computers running Big Sur and it runs just fine. I’m guessing that Peter’s issue was he was running a version of Lightroom that was old and no longer supported on the latest versions of Mac OS. It isn’t that LightRoom isn’t supported, it is that the if you’re still trying to run Lightroom 6 which was the last paid version of LightRoom before the subscription model, then it won’t run on newer versions of the OS because it isn’t even a 64 bit application. That line in the sand was drawn with Mac OS Catalina. To each his own on the subscription model, but $120 / year for me is an absolute no brainer.

1 Like

Allen
Adobe stopped supporting Lightroom Classic on iMac over a year ago. You can only run the cloud version on newer Mac’s.
Peter

To be really clear… Terminology is really important here. LightRoom Classic is NOT the cloud version. It is a hosted and run from your local computer. Your images are stored locally just like they have been since the inception of LightRoom. There is a product called “LightRoom” which is also hosted and run from your local computer, but the images are stored in your Adobe Cloud storage space. Adobe did NOT stop supporting LightRoom Classic on the Mac platform. The issue as I explained in the prior post is that Mac OS, since Catalina requires applications be 64 bit applications. LightRoom 6 is NOT 64 bit and will not run. That was true of a bunch of old software from every vendor that had applications on the Mac. Apple made it clear for several years that the 64 bit line in the sand was coming and would be implemented. Catalina was the version that implemented it.

The subscription version of LightRoom, LightRoom Classic, and Photoshop are part of the Creative Cloud product. That is a subscription based product and should not be confused by saying that “you can only run the cloud version on newer Mac’s”. I know the terminology can be confusing, but the terminology matters to avoid further confusing the topic.

1 Like

Nice pose. Well done on a tough exposure. I would be surprised if you were able to pull some detail from the whites but they do look awfully bright. I might look at a pano crop to take out of some of the top. Just to get rid of most of the reflection up there. Lovely greens on the head. I imagine these are just wintering birds.

Hi every one.
I stand corrected. I thought it was understood, that Lightroom 6 (Lightroom classic) was a stand alone product. A one time purchase and ran on your local iMac, no cloud. When I move to a new iMac running Catalina, Adobe stated I had to move to a cloud operating system and pay a yearly fee and they would not update Lightroom 6. That mandated the move to DxO photo.
Sorry for the confusion.
Peter