Waiting on the sun

Hi, it has been a month so since my last post. I have replaced my 9-year-old iMac with a brand new 21” iMac running macOS Catalina. This of course required new photo editor, Lightroom 6.4 will not run on Catalina and it took a couple of tries to find a replacement. I moved to DxO PhotoLab 3.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This Osprey was shot on 4/26/2020 with my Canon 7DII, and the Sig. 150-600mm lens at 600mm F8, 1/1600, ISO 640 and cropped by 20%. I adjusted the (exposure.4, contrast +9, microcontrast +8, clear view +5, midtones +7 and sharpness +18) with a local adjustment brush.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Excellent detail in the Osprey, Peter, and I love the light on the bird. I’m not wild about the tangle of out of focus twigs, but they aren’t a deal breaker. I do think I’d crop a bit further to eliminate the two large stubs sticking into the frame on the upper right.

Very nice pose and detail. I like the perch, but agree with trying to remove the twigs. I could also see a 4x5 crop taking some off the left and right.

Excellent light and detail. I agree about the twigs especially the thicker ones on the very right border. A nice image.

Thank you for the comments. I went back into photolab and tries to clean up the twigs. I also re-cropped the shot to a 5/4.
Peter

Very nice. I think this is the best image quality I’ve seen from one of your shots so far! Light is very pretty. I like the perch, and the re-post with fewer branches is nice. Techs looks good. Processing-wise, I’d suggest resizing the image to something like 1400-1600 pixels on the long side, sharpening just the bird, and adding a little contrast to the bird. Something like the below: