Life's a Grind

Sony A77
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8 @ 35mm
ISO 400, 1/1250 @ f8
Athabasca Glacier, Jasper NP
I was attracted to the action on the shoulder of the glacier with the crushed rocks and the somewhat dirty gray ice surface. The cloud action was pretty nice too. All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Bill,

This works beautifully in a couple different ways. First, great job capture and telling the nature story; you included enough of the glacier surface to help tell the story, as you described and were attracted to. The clinging fog, snow-dusted peak and patches of blue really help make this wonderful simply from a pictorial point of view.

The only tiny, hardly worth mentioning, nit I have is how the cloud up top left of center obscures the mountain peak. Of course nothing you could do about it - unless of course you have another frame where the clouds and snow aren’t merging as much? Like I said, pretty nitpicky. Otherwise, really enjoying this one.

Lon

Beautiful scene, and it evokes a cheery feeling, even with the gray ice/snow. The beautiful blue sky and white clouds really make me want to be there. No nits from me at all.

Compositionally I like the foreground glacier textures and the mountain on the left. The right mountain and the “glacier grind” is a little less appealing to me, even though it was the intended focus. It’s just not something that pulls me in for a closer look. Perhaps some judicious burning and dodging could make it more of an element that becomes the spotlighted feature.

This is great and I don’t know why but it reminds me of the Himalayas. I love it as is!

A very lovely mountain scene. The low clouds add so much drama to an already dynamic composition. I can feel the chilly air.

Always a pleasure to see your work Bill.