Like in the dry winter desert

I was driving through to Josuha Tree National Park near Cottonwood and saw a number of these what appeared to be dead trees with the red brush growing in the middle of it. Some had a little and some had a lot. Most of this was in the lower elevation of the park in the southern part of it. I have been getting interested more in plants overall and I liked the contrast with the blue sky.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I wasn’t sure about the brightness of the dead brush around it.

Technical Details

R6m2 EF 24-70 f/2.8 at 42mm f/8 1/320 I did need to stop down about a third of a stop.

It is a little bright, but it’s the desert so I think it’s supposed to be. Interesting phenomenon and I have no idea what’s going on here. Maybe other of our desert dwellers can explain. I’d like to see a landscape with several of these together, this one in isolation is a bit sad. Did you come in closer to get a look at the red bits? Looks like one thirsty plant. I like the small patch of green underneath it all.

Hi Dean, man, that whole area looks like a wildfire would blow right through it. I do like the red-brown color against the drab landscape and blue sky. My guess is that sometimes other plants are hiding beneath the shade of an existing tree or shrub, just waiting for their chance to mature, given enough sunlight. This one is probably more drought resistant than the tree was.