Lilac Breasted Roller on Acacia Branch

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

This little cutie was on the same branch every day. He had his territory staked out. I wanted to keep the entire bird and the attractive curve of the branch in the shot, so I threw caution to the wind and composed it as I saw best. Successful or not?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Being restricted to a vehicle, I had limited choices to change the angle of the shot. He also would fly away after a few seconds, and that was what I was experimenting with- catching him in flight. Sadly, I was unsuccessful.

Technical Details

Canon R3, 400mm RF Lens , with 1.4 extender, ISO 400, F4.0, 1/2500 sec

Specific Feedback

Any comments are welcomed.

3 Likes

A very lovely bird - and composition. The only thing that would create perfection (for me) would be an extra 10% or so of white added to the top. Well done.

Kasey, this is a very good look at this bird. It’s details and colors are excellent. I too think that a bit more space, both above and possibly below it would make the viewing more comfortable. This is a somewhat standard composition with the bird looking back into the open area of the photo. If you wanted to try a more unusual comp., you could crop further up from the bottom. That would emphasize the feathers on it’s chest and stomach even more…

Thanks, Mike and Mark! I agree with your suggestions- they are spot on. I will adjust and improve. I appreciate your feedback.