Lilac-Breasted Roller, Tanzania

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I am by no means a bird photographer, but on a safari in Tanzania you just have to take these opportunities. The lilac-breasted rollers are not shy at all, even posing for the photographers. In many cases we were able to approach them by car up to a few yards, so they seem to be the perfect choice for the aspiring bird photographer. And they are incredibly pretty and colorful birds as well!

Specific Feedback

There was not a lot of detail in the sky to work with so I opted for a very simple composition, just highlighting the main subject without any distractions.
Thanks for any feedback!

Technical Details

Sony A7rIII
FE 100-400mm + 1.4x TC
560mm @ f/8
1/1000s ISO 1250
+2 EV

Hi Holger, welcome to NPN and the avian forum! Beautiful bird you captured here. I love seeing the colors and the two prongs on the tail so well. The perch is quite large for the size of the bird but in this case I think that is fine given the perch shape and the lichen. A point of interest in itself. I like the composition with room for the bird to look into. A crop from the bottom may also work but I wonder if sufficient sharpness on the bird would be maintained with that. Nice frame.

Nice capture of a beautiful bird. I like the composition and the perch is interesting and adds to the image, though perhaps a slight crop off the bottom (bare trunk) would highlight the bird more and still leave the most interesting part of the perch.

Oooh what a cool bird. I don’t know that I’ve seen one before, but I 'd like to see it closer - the idea to remove some of the bottom of the perch is a way to do it, but still leave some environment for context.