Lilacs at last

Description: Lilac blooms in my backyard in Montana

Specific Feedback Requested: Is this image too dark? Does the blur detract from it or highlight the softness of the petals?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Single image, not stacked or composite, edited in Lightroom only. Shot with Nikon D500 and macro lens.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Theresa & welcome to NPN! I hope to see more of your gorgeous state. I used to vacation in the southern Bitterroots and loved it.

As you ask if this is too dark and I think that it is. Maybe 1/2 a stop or so. The blurriness wouldn’t bother me as much if the leading petals were in focus. It’s hard to so though and so you chose the inner flower bits for sharpness and that’s a choice I’ve made myself over the years.

So nice to see here in the horrible spring we’ve had in Wisconsin. A nice first post for sure! Please feel free to join in other discussions you see going and post in any category that interests you!

1 Like

This is lovely – welcome to NPN! This scene could be a bit brighter, and I think a crop from the top could work., to eliminate the brightest petal at the top. It won’t enlarge for me – sometimes deleting and re-posting will fix that.

I also look forward to your posts and participation.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I was actually just in Wisconsin Dells last week, visiting my east coast family (it’s our midpoint). We always love Wisconsin and load up on all the cheese possible while there. My fridge now looks like a mini store!

I’ll take a look at increasing the exposure on this photo. Again, thank you. I’m so happy to have found this site and look forward to engaging with fellow photographers!

Thank you for your kind reply! I’ll take a look at cropping that image down a bit and then brightening it…perhaps pulling back on the blacks will also help. I’m very happy to have found NPN and look forward to engaging in the site!

Oh how funny! The Dells are around 2 hours south of me. Maybe just a little closer.

1 Like