Lilly Pads Killarney Park Ontario

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Taken from a canoe, I like this image because of the perspective and the fact that you an glimpse underwater…but I can’t seem to balance the highlights and bring out the detail in the flower…

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Care for the perspective? Maybe the crop is too tight…I decided to crop out the shore…

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Fuji xt-1 handheld at 1/400 sec, f5.6 @20mm (on an 18-55 zoom) ISO400
Lilly_Pads_Killarney_2016-1|690x291

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Charles: Welcome to NPN and thanks for a fine first post. This is a fine scene that would be especially pleasing from a canoe or kayak. I did some minor cropping and a quick and dirty smart sharpen to bring out a touch more detail. Just a suggestion but this is fine as is.

Also, please resize your images to about 1500 pixels on the longest side before posting. Posting full size images taxes the servers and also makes your work a more inviting target for image thieves. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to seeing more of your work. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks for edit and feedback - I will resize in future

Charles, welcome to NPN. Good shot for your first post. I like how the lily pads lead my eye into the bloom. I like the edit that Bill made. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos. Great shot.

1 Like

Charles, welcome to NPN. I too like the sweep of well lit lily pads and how they lead to the flower. Bill’s dodging and burning are good, subtle enhancements as they bring out both the underwater elements and the reflections on the left. He’s also burned-in pretty strongly that bright bit at the top of the frame. In general, bright bits touching an edge strongly attract the viewer’s eyes, so it’s often best to leave them out or make them go away in processing.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback all - very excited by this site and the constructive feedback I’m reading on all the great photos!