Lines and water

Description: This picture is from a lovely picture near Jerusalem in Israel where they have small cascades or ripples of water in between old buildings. It was really fun to try to find ways to capture the water in way that will emphasize the water and make it appear significant in between the stones and walls. I find this picture as presenting a real contrast between a building a nature.

Specific Feedback Requested: I am not sure about the composition and played quite a lot with different options so would love feedback on that or anything else. Thanks.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sony a6000, 10-18 lens, 28mm, iso 50, f22 1 second (was quite dark cloudy day). Tripod. Some cropping and light adjustments.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

It certainly is an interesting contrast, Tamar. I like the fallen leaves as they add to the nature part. This is a unique image and it works quite well.

I am enjoying the dynamic appeal of the water in juxtaposition with the brick wall lines.

Hi, Tamar. First off I must say that the sheer appearance of water is a welcome sight in these triple-digit-temperature days we are experiencing right now in Texas.

Besides giving me a sense of freshness and coolness, I like the crossing lines of the vertical waterfall against the horizontal lines on the wall. The lens you used certainly enhanced that overall feeling of depth. I don’t know if the structure would allow any change in the composition, but I find myself moving away from the waterfall and trying to find out what is at the end of the wall. I would like to suggest, if possible, a different composition in which the waterfall appears more toward the right-side (or back) of the image. The wall leading lines would definitely guide the viewers’ eyes to the waterfall in that scenario. Of course, there may not be enough wall in the foreground to do that. That is my suspicion. I am a fan of long exposures in water, and I like what you did here. At the same time, I also wonder if a faster shutter speed could help the viewer stay with the waterfall. This is a beautiful and lush image with the green moss offering an added layer of texture. I hope my comments make sense.