Liquid Autumn

Here is another image from my recent trip to Colorado. This was taken at Crystal lake. The lake was in shadow in the morning and the golden highlights are reflection of aspen from the nearby hillside. The wind was creating some nice ripples for this kind of image.

Capture Info:
300 mm
f/16 @ 1/60 sec.
ISO 800 (to get the desired aperture / shutter speed)

Processing:

There is really not a lot of cooking here. I removed a bunch of dust spots and then did a simple levels adjustment to set the black and white points and adjust the midtones to taste.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments and critique are welcome!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

In processing the image I made the creative choice to set a true black and white point. In my original file I haven’t lost any highlight or shadow detail, but the web version may be a bit clipped. I kind of like the effect even though it exaggerates the contrast a bit from the actual reflection. Given the abstract nature of the image I wasn’t too worried about “reality”. Does it work for you or is it too much?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Wow, it looks like you polished that image for hours; what a nice reflective shine! Your processing works fine for me; I agree with your comments.

Works for me. I really like the direction you’ve taken this image.

This is stunning Brian. I love the contrast and mix of blue and gold.

Brian,

I absolutely LOVE this! Just gorgeous, fabulous.

Great job on processing this. Love the contrast, so great job on setting the black and white points. And the color combo - just beautiful.

No nits, suggestions. Print it!

Lon

Beautiful abstract, Brian. Love it. I might be inclined to bring the overall brightness down a bit, but that’s just my preference. It is mesmerizing.

Brian, I love your contrasty take on this and the heck with reality…this works beautifully !

WELL DONE!

Brian, this is spectacular. Getting all of the ripples sharp in a view like this is always a challenge. The high contrast really lets the colors and shapes stand out. Well done.

Gorgeous. The colours, textures and complex pattern makes for a compelling abstract. Beautifully seen and conceived.

Yes, the contrast looks exaggerated, but I still like this. I still recognize it as water and the extra contrast draws me in. It also makes it seem like there something more than just the pattern going on here. It adds a nice sense of mystery to the scene.