Liquid Light

This picture was taken in West Germany.
I was totally fascinated by how the warm light reflected on the rapids and the metal lock of water .Since I was in a deep valley, the warm light was reflected by the opposite piece of forest.

I have the light erhees added clarity and saturated the oranges and yellow tones.
I also opened the shadows a little.

Best thanks already and a pleasant day to you.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any criticism is welcome.
But what interests me most is whether it’s too chaotic?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

martinkleuters.photography
1 Like

To start with answering your question, imho the upper (left) part is a bit chaotic, but this is more than compensated by the beautiful orange swirls and the blue metallic shine of the water in the right part. The curves of the reflected tree trunks and branches nicely accentuate the flow of the water. You may consider taking of a sliver from above and perhaps bit from the left to preserve the h:w ratio. For me the bubbles in the centre do form a nice contrast. Looks like a place with lots of photographic possibilities. Well seen.

1 Like

This is a very interesting and intriguing image Martin! The shapes of the golden light reflections on the water is just mesmerizing. I don’t get a sense of “too chaotic”, for me what makes this work is the texture of the flowing water. Without a lot of fine detail all the motion and the few colors work very well.

1 Like

Martin, I love scenes like this, with water movement and portions catching the light. You managed a great shot here, in my opinion. I do believe though, that this should be in the Landscape category, small scene. I will take the liberty to move it there.

Martin, this type of images is to my liking! I think it works very well, the silver and golden parts intertwined, together with the reflection of the tree branches gives very interseting pattern. Eventually, it could be cropped somewhat at the top?

1 Like

Gorgeous. This looks like molten metal. The blue and gold colors are great together. Composition is very good with the line of gold swirls on the diagonal. Makes it more dynamic. Nice tonal variation throughout and wonderful patterns.

1 Like

@Ola_Jovall @Igor_Hoveijn Thank you for the detailed reviews. I’ve cut it out and I like it better right away. It was important to me that the (bubble) in the top left was retained and had space. I am pleased that it is getting such a great response. Best regards.

@Shirley_Freeman
Thank you for moving. I wasn’t quite sure which category. And best of all thanks for the review.

3 Likes

Thank you for this great review. Best regards

I absolutely love this image, Martin. It has enough in the reflections of trees and the recognizable element of water to be considered ‘nature’ photography, but it approaches the edge of being purely abstract visual art. Stunning abstract visual art at that! The colors are exceptional and as my eye moves over the image the embodied movement in the water is very strong.

Looking at it in the abstract sense, the only critique I’d offer is that the upper left quadrant of the image (the fast moving water) is dark enough to be a little distracting. I think if you brought up the exposure there, especially in the highlights, it might be a bit more dynamic and harmonious overall. With that proposed edit in mind, I prefer the original crop.

Well seen and photographed!

Hi Martin - This is a striking abstract. I like your repost. The gold and silver liquid light are a nice contrast to the black shadows.

My first impression was that I was looking at a snowy landscape of a small ravine. It took a bit more looking to recognize it as water. But the best was to see this is as an abstract of modern art where reality is stretched and distorted. I say that because it really doesn’t ‘feel’ like waster and this ambiguity makes you want to step back and just emjoy the lines, shapes and colors.

What you wrote about the " stretching of reality " was also my thought. That day I was on a bigger hike with my dogs and Had time to think. This thought of the distorted reality by 1/15 second has not let me go. Even when I found this scene, it had something psychedelic about it. It fascinates me so much what possibilities photography offers me to look at the world.It is wonderful to discover this world and I have the hope of a few people seeing this and seeing how important the protection of this wonderful world is. I digress a little. Stretching reality would have been the perfect title that would have hit my intention. Thank you for these great words.Best greetings.

This is a simply gorgeous abstract Martin. Its like space itself is being warped into a new reality. Intriguing…

That metallic blue color is just marvelous, and creates a wonderful mood in the image.

I’m with @Sean_Meehan, I like the original composition, but would dodge the highlights along the top edge. Having the extra space at the top creates a greater sense of motion for me.

1 Like

Marvellous. I too am drawn to water in motion and particularly this sort of abstraction. The sense of turbulence and motion is beautifully conveyed as is the juxtaposition of silver and gold, which as others have pointed out, gives the image the feel of molten metal. While I don’t mind a bit of cropping off the top, I wouldn’t want to sacrifice that lovely bit of gold and blue on the left. So, if aspect ratio is important, I definitely favour the original. As to your question: how can it be too chaotic when the image is about chaos :laughing:. Well done!

1 Like

Well, first …this is a top class image, and if you ask me if its chaotic, am still admiring it as it is. As a big fan of these kind of images, i see two distinct areas. One contributing to the other.
Very well done
Balan Vinod