Litany Against Fear

Original Image

Early Attempt

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Trying ICM with a person is not very easy. Each spring my daughter and I try to do a photo shoot in the azaleas in our back yard. (We’ve been doing it since 2006 I think.) This year after getting some of our typical fun photos, I said I wanted to try some ICM as she walked through the bushes. It took us a few tries because she was either bouncing too much or I was not timing my pan correctly. (See third photo, that still came out neat, but not what I wanted.) I then asked her to “glide through the flowers.” The first image is where it finally came together close enough. When we looked at it, we knew we had something. So, we called it a day.

Specific Feedback

The second image is the original photo. I thought her head was to close to the top of the frame, so I added a little canvas and cloned in some of the flowers/blur from other parts of the frame. Which seems better the first or second image? I haven’t done any extra sharpening to the face. Maybe sharper or blurrier? Any other ideas on improvements are welcome. My daughter and I really like this image, so I want it to look its best.

Technical Details

Canon R
ISO 100
1/4 sec at f/10

1 Like

Excellent. I admire this kind of exploratory work - the sort that most camera clubs abhor. I love it! I think you nailed it with the image you posted first. Your use of colour here, is fantastic and speaks both of vision and voice. My only suggestion would be to try flipping it so that your daughter is facing in the opposite direction. Our eye likes to go from left to right so it might enhance the flow of movement … or not. Well done.

1 Like

I also like your final version as-is, Patrick. To me it gives the feel of moving upstream or against a wind and the expression on her face is so peaceful-as if she knew exactly how she was going to get where she’s going.

1 Like

What a wonderful photo! While I think like Dennis, I see that your daughter is not moving. Everything around her is rushing by at great speed. Lots of turmoil. Gotta keep up. Yet, she remains calm and and peaceful.

1 Like

Thank you @Kerry_Gordon, @Dennis_Plank and @Jim_Gavin glad you all like it. Kerry, interesting idea. I flipped it just to see, but it kinda hurt my head since I know which direction it was taken. When I took moment to see the difference, it was interesting that when flipped, she seems to be going with the “flow” of the flowers. And the red is rushing up from behind her (Again reading left to right.) With the original, she seems to be standing against it. as it rushes at her. Thank you for the suggestion. As I let the image sit in my mind a bit longer, I will keep your idea as an option.

Great pic what a fun Idea . I hope I’m around to see next years! I prefer the version with the extra head room. If possible adding a little back lighting would put icing on an already great cake.

1 Like