Little Blue Heron versus Grackle II

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Thought I’d post a couple more photos of the juvenile Little Blue Heron versus Grackle series. I’m just about done showing images from my Louisiana trip.

Specific Feedback

Now that I Iook again, I think I could take out the bright branch behind the grackle in second image.
Any other thoughts?

This was a very noisy encounter - I think mainly on the grackle’s part. The heron was just holding on tight to his catch.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/3200s, hand held

A very cool encounter, Allen. I like the Grackle chasing the heron. It’s a neat juxtaposition of the bully factor. I wonder if lightening the background slightly in these images would help make the Grackle pop more? In the second image he tries to fade into the background a bit. It would take a careful selection, but might make a difference.

1 Like

These are simply great, Allen! :slight_smile:

I am really enjoying the work you did while you were in Loozyanna (“Louisiana”).

The chase is something I’ve seen a few times but never captured and very glad you did! These are great!! :slight_smile:

Hey, I just found a seafood place nearby that serves crawfish boil! — Here we go again :smiley:
Darn cravings! :smiley:

1 Like

Wonderful captures, and with challenging light – well done! The Grackle looks very determined. I vote for removing the OOF branch in the second one. Would be nice if it was possible to soften the BG a bit – it’s gorgeous in the first one. But the well-captured action is the main thing – no way to improve on that.