Little Cormorants plus repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Port Stephens, NSW. Little black cormorants. I saw this as a high contrast mono photograph from the beginning. The first composition was not inspiring, but then I walked further and as the angle changed, this was revealed. LHS cormorant obliged me with a bit of preening. The photo was made from low down to ensure a clean background (the camera braced by elbows on rocks). The grey background is glassed out sea, further disguised by bushfire smoke. I increased the exposure in post, as well as manipulating the contrast and micro contrast of the birds’ wing feathers. Cropped.

Specific Feedback

I occasionally attempt bird photos, but wish to stay away from conventional portraits. Does this work or am I enjoying the walk and finding the photograph too much

Technical Details

Canon 90D with a Sigma 120 to 400mm lens at 400mm (600mm eq)
ISO 400, F5.6, 1/1600 sec


Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

Vision and Purpose:
Conceptual:
Emotional Impact and Mood:
Composition:
Balance and Visual Weight:
Depth and Dimension:
Color:
Lighting:
Processing:
Technical:

Very well done, Rob. I really like the semi-silhouette look of the image and the detail in the feather patterns is really nice. I’m not sure they really matter, but it looks like there are some small/distant rocks low down in the left notch that I’d probably get rid of as they’;re so faint as to resemble dust spots. If they were a bit larger , they’d add a nice sense of depth but, as is, they don’t do that for me.

A nice costal environmental shot, Rob, and the preening cormorant adds some nice action. I didn’t initially notice the rocks Dennis mentioned, but if those are rocks in the distant ocean, I think they do add a sense of depth and lets us know there is ocean beyond the foreground rocks.

What you see is rocks and seaweed (as per the bottom rhs) in the background. There was quite a lot of it and hence my low photograph angle to achieve a clean background. It seems I have got the overall idea correct, but must spend time and care on the small detail in post.

Thank you both.

I have lots of Little black comorant images, but none as nice as this!

I love the awkward pose of the preening bird. Processing in B&W has worked a treat. (Although, I miss the emerald eyes.)

My only thoughts would be to raise the shadows a little on the rocks and just a tad on the birds. I might consider a little border patrol on some of the bright edge on the bottom.

The repost is as per suggestions. I tried the foreground rocks in various ranges of brightness, but found they quickly distracted from the birds themselves, so I only brightened them just enough to show texture. Ditto some of the water at the bottom of the frame. Thank you all for your input

Really nice job on the repost, Rob. I think you stopped right where you should on the tocks.

O like the repost even better! It’s a wonderful image and well worth the effort.