Lofoten Beach Fog

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

This is a challenge for me as fog handling is very personal. To me it is very moody and that’s the part I like most. But what is it that needs to to be emphasized better to make this come across better ?

Creative direction

I am actually quite unclear as to what direction to take this image - personally I like it the way I have processed it

Specific Feedback

I now have a new Mac mini Studio 2 with a BenQ 32" SW monitor - I am using the preloaded BenQ profile. It may not be that obvious in this image but this monitor is brighter and more vibrant than my old Mac monitor which I am still using on my Mac Mini1.

Any thought on how to adjust my processing as a result s really welcome

Technical Details

nothing magical

Description

Taken in Lofoten this March - When we reached this beach, I could literally see nothing!. Most folks from the other van were already headed here and I wondered if I should be headed there too . Fortunately I decided to head down there and right in front of my eyes the weather changed several times allowing for a few of these foggy moody opportunities

2 Likes

Hi Karl,
what a beautiful moody shot. I really love the atmosphere here.
There are nice textures in the foreground and the dark s-curve leads nicely to the mountains.

Have you considered a different crop? I tried a 16:9 here to draw attention more to the foreground and the mountains:

Did you calibrate your monitor? In my calibration, the brightness is also adjusted.

1 Like

Karl,

Wow, what a wonderful image. B&W is perfect, and I prefer the crop as is. the sky/clouds compliment to the moodiness. I think the brightness is fine. My only thought, and this is quite minor really, would be to dodge the mountains a bit to make them more pronounced.

This is a very impressive work of art, Karl. Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers,
David

Hi Karl,

Such beautiful conditions to photograph in and you did a great job capturing it. I too love the fog and feel it is a gift when I get to photograph it.

You mentioned you were unsure which creative direction to take the editing and as I was viewing the image large, the thought came to me that it all depends on what you feel is the primary subject and what elements you want to emphasize. As I look at the image, the dark water, of course, stands out as having visual weight and thereby some importance. The mountains are there, sort of mid-toned and not standing out nor receding. The fog is ethereal, but doesn’t stand out itself as the main subject of the photograph.

I would be curious to see the dark water lightened and “de-emphasized” and the mountains gain more emphasis to bring the viewers attention to the back and where the fog is interacting with the landscape.

Just initial thoughts as I viewed the image. There is a lot you can do with this. Well captured!

1 Like

I have to agree with @John_Pedersen that the dark river is overwhelming and as a result unbalances the image. It’s also far to the right. Sometimes unbalance can work in your favor. However, so far I see it as a negative here.

Karl, I really like this image! Just to show how hard it is to please the peanut gallery, I actually like the dark river shifted off to the right as you have it. I do agree with @Jens_Ober Jens (I seem to do so consistently!) about the crop. Your original version has a touch too much sky for my taste, and I am less enamored with a vertically-centered horizon in any case.

Thanks @David_Bostock , @Igor_Doncov , @Jens_Ober , @jefflafrenierre , @John_Pedersen

Whilst it is a matter of taste, I do agree that the the water stream is taking up more attention than it should - lightening it some, still makes it a good leading line. I have also dehazed selectively the mountains. I am still thinking about the sky crop as well as Igor’s suggestion for some space to the right - I do have the real estate here!

2 Likes