Lollipop Rock

Comparison

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Do the surrounding rocks support the composition: leading lines; size differential; limited stratification?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Lollipop Rock in White Pocket, on the Paria Plateau of Arizona, shows its various colors in afternoon light.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 16-35mm @ 16mm; f/16 @ 1/6 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; Canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish

A beautiful subject with great textures and leading lines. Very nice! I wish the center line was not quite so centered. Also, the color balance is heavily shifted to warmer colors, and I wonder if you could bring out the cooler tones a little bit more.

Bob, the leading lines certainly work well in this image. Interesting low point of view. While it’s a matter of your intent and vision, I would lower the saturation on the peak. I agree with @Patrick_Campbell about bringing out the cool tones. That would balance the strong hot tones. You have taken advantage of the light nicely.

Thank you @Patrick_Campbell and @Larry_Greenbaum for your comments and recommendations. I have visited White Pocket a number of times, under different lighting conditions which dictates the color of everything. I chose an area I know to be neutral and let that dictate the overall color temperature.
I am posting another photo of Lollipop Rock, from another day—less centered, tighter frame, with blue skies and white clouds.

Very nice second image, Bob, with the mix of complementary colors. I’ve only been to White Pocket one time, so color me green with envy. Something I need to fix!