Lone mountaineers in the snow

This was captured in the Mont Blanc region. I like the perception of solitude, as the mountaineers find their way in the snow fields on the glacier.
Any comments welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Han, the scale here is amazing. I wish the total right hand peak was included. But certainly not a nit on this really wonderful outdoor adventure scene…:+1:

1 Like

My favorite grand landscapes include something familiar for sense of scale, especially people. The visible trail in your shot seals the deal for me! Terrific.

Han, the mountaineers and their trail are great as they set the scale and lead my eyes to the mountain. The whites and touch of blue look good as well. I too wish the top of the mountain were included.

Han,

The mountaineer’s most certainly provide the scale and even context with trail in the snow. Exposure and processing look great to my eye (and monitor).

My initial thought too was why not include the top of the peak? Not sure if you cropped or purposefully excluded in the original framing. I think enough of the top is excluded to tell me this was intentional - and I think it works to tell your story of isolation and solitude. Including the entire peak then makes this image more about the peak and the landscape, then about the climbers. Hope that makes sense.

Looks great!

Lon

Thanks for your gentle comments, glad you like it.
The remarks about the missing top of the peak definitely make sense. And I must admit that it is not intentional, it just happened. The frame was shot from an aerial cable car. It’s a two stage journey of over 3 miles. The second stage brings you to an altitude of 3778 m (approx. 12300 ft.) and offers superb views. I suddenly saw the people on the glacier and had a few seconds to shoot, with the shortest focal length of the telezoom that was on the camera. No time for a lens change or for thinking over the composition, the cabin is moving pretty fast. So I just had the chance to catch the leading line of the trail in the corner of the frame, and position the people more or less in the right place… I noticed the missing top of the peak at home, but I still like the image a lot. I agree with Lon, that probably the image would be more about the landscape than about the climbers, with the peak included. But it would be nice to make a deliberate choice.
I remember I fumbled with the camera to change the lens in a hurry for another shot and lost the lens cap. The right angle to shoot was gone.

I would have preferred the top of the mountain be in the frame, but after reading your story I think you did a fantastic job to come away with this image, Han. The climbers and their trail provide a wonderful sense of scale to this majestic scene and I like the fact that you were able to retain detail in the whites of the snow. Great job.

Han, thanks for the back story. Ya know, we most often just think the photographer is standing at some safe vista, camera on tripod and just waiting for perfect moment… But we all know that it’s not often the case. From a cable car, would have never guessed… :wink: Great job seeing and capturing this.

Lon

Great outdoor scene; the climbers really emphasize the scale of the scene, well done.

Good work, I really like this concept. From one viewers opinion, a vertical shot including the entire peak and it converted to b&w would add much more scale/power to this image without taking away from the solitude aspect.

Great composition and exposure, Han. Love the color in the sky and those figures.
But I really want to see the top of that mountain. This is a prime case of compromise: maximize the size of the figures or capture the peak of the mountain? Too little focal length and the people are too small but the peak is visible; too great a focal length and the people are sized well but the peak is out of frame. Perhaps a further vantage with a longer focal length, a closer vantage with a shorter focal length, or a vertical image. I just don’t know.

Thanks to all for the comments.
I agree that including the top of the mountain would make it a better image. But as I wrote in the back story: it was not possible…
So I have to live with a decapitated mountain.